Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: New Adult Yougupja Poomse Reply with quote

The Kukkiwon has recently demonstrated a new series of 8 Poomse for adults.

"The need for new poomsae is getting increased as the training motivation of taekwondo is getting diversified, according to the changes of age and environment," Kukkiwon President Hyun-deuk Oh said. “If the adult yougupja poomsae is globally distributed to more taekwondo clubs through frontline masters, I think it will be a great help to activate the field of adult taekwondo.”

http://eng.tkdnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=16500

Anyone come across any videos yet?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be interested to see what these look like, and how they differentiate from the poomsae they do now.

I will keep an eye out for a video, for sure.

What are your thoughts on this, Danielle? I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, I'd like to think that what they have should be sufficient to meet the needs of training their students, but on the other hand, change can be good; it just needs to be with purpose. If they truly do help in training the types of movement patterns that they state in that description, then that's great. But what were the older forms lacking? Will these be required for testings along with the Tae Guek poomsae for adults? One would hope they wouldn't be saturating with too much material for a testing, but maybe it isn't.

This is not the first time the WTF has done this, though. They had the Pal Gwe poomsae first, then abandoned them for the Tae Guek, and now they have this new set. Its interesting, and worth a discussion, for sure.

What would you think if the ITF rolled out whole new set of Tul?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I practice and thoroughly enjoy Tae Kwon Do, I am rather skeptical of the Kukkiwon's relationship with making money. My school's not part of the Kukkiwon largely because it'd cost too much for us to join. This seems like it might be something else schools around the world would have to pay for in order to maintain their credentials.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be interested to see what these look like, and how they differentiate from the poomsae they do now.

I will keep an eye out for a video, for sure.

What are your thoughts on this, Danielle? I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, I'd like to think that what they have should be sufficient to meet the needs of training their students, but on the other hand, change can be good; it just needs to be with purpose. If they truly do help in training the types of movement patterns that they state in that description, then that's great. But what were the older forms lacking? Will these be required for testings along with the Tae Guek poomsae for adults? One would hope they wouldn't be saturating with too much material for a testing, but maybe it isn't.

This is not the first time the WTF has done this, though. They had the Pal Gwe poomsae first, then abandoned them for the Tae Guek, and now they have this new set. Its interesting, and worth a discussion, for sure.

What would you think if the ITF rolled out whole new set of Tul?

I'm not sure the ITF ever would role out new tul unless it was along the lines of a modified tul for kids or for special needs. Whichever ITF you're in they tend to be sticklers for following the way of the General. He had a reason for 24 patterns so I think it would be extremely unlikely they would create more. Of course you have Ko-Dang and U-Nam/Woo-Nam that some might practice but these were created during the General's time and are not official tul per se.

Regarding Kukkiwon poomse, I guess it depends what the poomse look like and whether these are to replace or compliment existing forms. They have recently released some new competition poomse too so maybe they're trying to refresh the curriculum all-round.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they don't sit still, that's for sure. The competition poomsae seem to be guided towards the already talented competitors, which to me ends up being exclusionary. Perhaps these new forms are being put in place for those who aren't going to be using the new competition forms, but I wonder to what end, really? I guess time will tell.

singularity6 wrote:
While I practice and thoroughly enjoy Tae Kwon Do, I am rather skeptical of the Kukkiwon's relationship with making money. My school's not part of the Kukkiwon largely because it'd cost too much for us to join. This seems like it might be something else schools around the world would have to pay for in order to maintain their credentials.

This, I wonder about, too. Our school uses ITF forms, but isn't affiliated with the ITF, nor the WTF, and about the only reason anyone in our school would become affiliated with the WTF would be to compete nationally in their tournaments. But, there aren't many around here, maybe one a year, and we don't really focus our classes to the sparring aspect of training, either. I'm not inclined to believe that this is being done solely for the money, but I wouldn't deny that they haven't considered it, either.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Yeah, they don't sit still, that's for sure. The competition poomsae seem to be guided towards the already talented competitors, which to me ends up being exclusionary. Perhaps these new forms are being put in place for those who aren't going to be using the new competition forms, but I wonder to what end, really? I guess time will tell.

singularity6 wrote:

This, I wonder about, too. Our school uses ITF forms, but isn't affiliated with the ITF, nor the WTF, and about the only reason anyone in our school would become affiliated with the WTF would be to compete nationally in their tournaments. But, there aren't many around here, maybe one a year, and we don't really focus our classes to the sparring aspect of training, either. I'm not inclined to believe that this is being done solely for the money, but I wouldn't deny that they haven't considered it, either.

Oh, I'm sure there are many reasons to introduce more forms, and I'm interested in seeing them (maybe even learning them, at some point.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

tubby
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread's been idle for 3 months now. Has anyone seen or heard anything of these new poomsae? or being KKW should I expect to see some unofficial youtube updates over the next 18 months or so?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard or seen anything since, but I haven't been actively looking, either.

Danielle, any updates that you know of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: