Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SoTexGuy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: New Student Reply with quote

Hey all,

First post ever here. I just started classes this week and my third is tomorrow night. A little about me, I am 32 (I'm actually kind of embarrased to be starting classes this late and going to classes at all). I started to lose weight ( I am way too heavy) and 2 lessons in I am hooked and want to learn more. My instructor told us the form of Karate we were learning but I forgot it and would like to research it more before my Friday night class. He mentioned that it roughly translates to "do what you can do". Any help is appreciated! I'm pumped to keep learning! Apparently I have one heck of a powerful side kick!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have all kinds of time to research the art later. Find out the name and let us know after the next class.

No need to be embarrassed by learning to fight at 32. I'm 30, and I recently discovered that I like My Little Pony. Life is too long to worry about those things.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to both KarateForums and more importantly the world of Martial Arts. Don't worry about your age, there is not wrong time to start training and looking our for yourself. I know your excited, but you have a lifetime ahead of you to learn about your art. Don't rush it, enjoy your new passion and dive into your training. Talk with your instructor, he probably has some good information for you.

When you find out your styles name, there are plenty of resources out thereto aid you. There are also other resources that will provide you with good information. Under the General Martial Arts section of this forum there is a recommended library list, some good books / articles there. Take a look through and you should be able to find something to peak your interest. Be it history, philosophical, technical, etc.

Enjoy.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know, I started Judo at the grand young age of 41, so you got some years on me yet

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, its good to hear you got started in the Martial Arts! Don't worry about your age, or your weight. Hard work and the enjoyment involved will overcome all that other stuff. Glad to have you here!

Kodakmint
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, and good job on the side kicks, that's one of my strongest kicks as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: