Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is a way to post pictures. Patrick????

We want to see the build!

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use the website Imgur.

2) Make your account and select new post at the top:

3) Select the image(s) that you want to post by scrolling the mouse pointer over your name and select images. This will bring up your library. Click on the image you want to post and this screen will pop up:

4) First click on the image size you want on the bottom right hand side of the window. I prefer large thumbnail or huge thumbnail. Then, copy the BBCode circled in step 2. You don't need use the image tags from the forum; Imgur will do it for you.

5) Preview your post to make sure the images are the way you want them.

Hope this helps.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps a lot! Thanks. I hope to have the post up this weekend.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's so easy even an old dog like me can do it. That's awesome!

Thanks for explaining that Struggling_Mudansha.

Ok lets start seeing those pic's of the build!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the pics please? And tell us about the process if you have time.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the time delay. I got hammered with school work, and extra kids around the house.

Safety first.

Don's stick your hands into moving blades!!! I cannot emphasize this enough.

Turn tools off when making measurements and adjustments.

Wear safety glasses and ear protection.

The process is relatively simple.

I decided to go with straight octagonal instead of tapered, because my band saw keeps throwing a pulley and I can just do the cuts on the table saw. I could taper on the table saw, but it is a bit more complicated.

First I cut my stock to length. I went about an inch long at this point.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zHrihSo.jpg?1[/img]

With a 2x4 you can just cut one length and split it to get the two lengths needed.

Then with the table saw I first cut it to various sizes to see what dimensions would work best for me. I found 1.5 inches was too big. Although, I still might make a set at the width because they really are a weapon.

I think 1-1 1/8 would work for most people.

Make sure the saw is off now!

At this point tip your blade to 45 degrees away from the fence.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JWuWOJR.jpg?1[/img]

Now, rest your square stock with the corner on the table, and the side resting on the blade.
Then slide your fence to the other corner so it touches. This should move it closer to the blade, not further away.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/90yaKcm.jpg?1[/img]

Turn the saw on.
Then place the square stock on its side and run through like normal. This should just take the corner off at a 45.

Check to see that the cut lands at 1/3 the width of 1 side. Depending on how tight you moved the fence against the corner you may have to snug it up a smidge to get the right cut.
Rotate your stock 90 degrees to cut off the next corner, and so forth until all 4 corners have been removed.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8RC9sMx.jpg?1[/img]

Now, you have an octagon.

Now, since these are straight and not tapered we can drill holes for the ropes. If they were tapered I would do this before tapering when I still had square stock. This way I can still use the fence on the drill press at 90 degrees. It is simpler to get the holes centered this way.

More to come in a bit. I will keep editing this post as I get more information.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Last edited by LLLEARNER on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 pm; edited 7 times in total

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Sorry about the time delay. I got hammered with school work, and extra kids around the house.

Safety first.

I decided to go with straight octagonal instead of tapered, because my band saw keeps throwing a pulley and I can just do the cuts on the table saw. I could taper on the table saw, but it is a bit more complicated.

First I cut my stock to length. I went about an inch at this point.

With a 2x4 you can just cut one length and split it to get the two lengths needed.

Then with the table saw I first cut it to various sizes to see what dimensions would work best for me. I found 1.5 inches was too big. Although, I still might make a set at the width because they really are a weapon.

Now, rest your square stock with the corner on the table and the side on the blade.
Then slide your fence to the other corner so it touches. This should move it closer to the blade, not further away.
Turn the saw on.
Then place the square stock on its side and run through like normal. This should just take the corner off at a 45.
Rotate your stock 90 degree to cut off the next corner, and so forth until all 4 corners have been removed.

Depending how tight you moved the fence against the corner

Now since these are straight and not tapered we can drill holes for the ropes. If they were tapered I would do this before tapering when I still had square stock. This way I can still use the fence on the drill press at 90 degrees. It is simpler to get the holes centered this way.

What, you don’t have a lathe?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:

Safety first.

Now, rest your square stock with the corner on the table and the side on the blade.
Turn the saw on.
Rotate your stock 90 degree to cut off the next corner, and so forth until all 4 corners have been removed.

Now since these are straight and not tapered we can drill holes for the ropes. If they were tapered I would do this before tapering when I still had square stock. This way I can still use the fence on the drill press at 90 degrees. It is simpler to get the holes centered this way.

What, you don’t have a lathe?

Nope. No lathe. Maybe someday.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:

Safety first.

Turn the saw on.

OK, my dozey brain is actually being able to visualize most of what you are saying. I'm very keen to make a pair of tapered Octagonal. So starting dimensions would be........????? (average guy here). I am sure that I can find the knot and cord process on the Y tube. Weight wise, I have a number of options, hard light and hard heavier. What opinions are there on weight? I would be keen on your overall finished dimensions and what determined these based on your own dimensions etc.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

OK, my dozey brain is actually being able to visualize most of what you are saying. I'm very keen to make a pair of tapered Octagonal. So starting dimensions would be........????? (average guy here). I am sure that I can find the knot and cord process on the Y tube. Weight wise, I have a number of options, hard light and hard heavier. What opinions are there on weight? I would be keen on your overall finished dimensions and what determined these based on your own dimensions etc.

I started by cutting down a 2x4 to 1 1/2 inch square at approx 15 inches long. You can get 2 segments from 1 length. When cutting the corners off it still leaves 1 1/2 square measured from side to side.

2x4s are cheap and you can use a shorter length if you are just testing grip width.

The white oak I tried is heavy at 1 1/2. I am a total noob to nunchaku, but they seem like they would make a great heavy set for training or as an actual weapon. I understand that lighter ones are preferred for competition due to them being faster. I may be wrong on that. The weight can be altered by choosing a different wood. The spruce from the 2x4 is really light. Also, most people should be able to fit a range of diameters. This would also be a way to change the weight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: