Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DeskWarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Only adult in the class, should I stick with it? Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
DeskWarrior wrote:
Hello all!

I'm completely new to this site. I've always wanted to take martial arts lessons, but due to my studies, working long hours and having a baby, I haven't started until recently. I wasn't allowed to take lessons as a child. I've been feeling like now is the time to start before I get any older, lol. Btw, the extent of my training is a few Tae Kwon Do lessons in college and what my black belt hubby has taught me.

I was recently made aware that they teach karate lessons at my community center (only 10 minutes away), so I came in for a trial class. I had a great time! And I love the sensei already! But, there is one problem, I was the only adult there... In fact, the oldest kid looked like she was only 12. I really don't think I could go somewhere else, because that would be about an hour drive and cost more and my hubby isn't willing to watch our 3 year old any longer than he already does.

What do you guys think? To be honest, I really enjoyed the lesson and love the idea of learning more techniques and earning new belts, and I don't really want this to be a reason to quit, but maybe there's something I'm not considering and I'm going to regret this.

Thanks everyone!!
Cheers

What style of Karate is it?

Kenpo

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
DeskWarrior,

Welcome to the site. As for your question, I believe it depends on what you ultimately want to get out of martial arts.

This class seems to be a positive for the following goals:
- Fitness
- Good instructor
- Sense of accomplishment
- Discipline
- Belonging to a larger organization
- Experience if you ever want to teach kids
- Cost
- Distance from Home

This class seems to be a negative for the following goals:
- Self Defense
- Camaraderie
- Experience if you ever want to teach adults

So, in the end it depends on how you rank these categories in your own personal goals.

JazzKicker wrote:
Ask a friend to join you! It will make the training more fun, and easier with a partner your own size. As the only adult, once you progress to a certain point after a few months, it will probably get frustrating.

I can only echo what has been said already

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - we have multiple adults at our dojo who drive 1hr (or more) to attend our dojo bc other dojos did not "work for them" they usually say the people were not as good to train with.

As a Mom I understand the baby issue - call me a lousy Mom but I used to stick my 4yr old on the side with a tablet as I trained. he is 11 now and I still do it, and yes he gets to bed way too late and sometimes he ate fast food for dinner. Time for Mommy is important ... not only for your physical health but your mental health too. Also its good for the kids to learn that not everything in their world revolves around them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CI will make or break the dojo, in the short, and the long, of it all. This is why I always say, not all black belts can teach. It can be quite a trying journey to get that as perfect match as possible between CI and the student...this is a two way street.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has already given some great feedback. My question is in regards to your "black belt hubby." Does he still train? If so, are you training at the same place he trains at? If not, what better time to convince him to get back into training, with you?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this with us, DeskWarrior! Welcome. Love the responses on this thread.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DeskWarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses! I thought I'd give you guys an update. I've still been going to the lessons and having a blast! So glad I stuck with it. I do plan on recommending the lessons to my friends and neighbors, but for now, I'm having fun and learning a lot as is. The kids are very respectful too. I do think it would be great if my hubby took the lessons with me. His black belt is in The Kwon Do, so this could be a fun learning opportunity for him, I would think, but he says he's "unmotivated" to do martial arts again. He hasn't been serious with TKD in about 10 years. And we do have a 3 year old too who wouldn't be able to sit still and quiet throughout the lesson if she came along.

Cheers!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeskWarrior wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses! I thought I'd give you guys an update. I've still been going to the lessons and having a blast! So glad I stuck with it. I do plan on recommending the lessons to my friends and neighbors, but for now, I'm having fun and learning a lot as is. The kids are very respectful too. I do think it would be great if my hubby took the lessons with me. His black belt is in The Kwon Do, so this could be a fun learning opportunity for him, I would think, but he says he's "unmotivated" to do martial arts again. He hasn't been serious with TKD in about 10 years. And we do have a 3 year old too who wouldn't be able to sit still and quiet throughout the lesson if she came along.

Cheers!

I’m glad it’s working out for you. If you’re enjoying it and benefiting from it, keep at it. No sense in trying to fix what isn’t broken.

Only advice is to not count on friends and your husband to join. So many people say they want to or will say they’ll think about it just to humor you. It’ll be great if they do, but from personal experience, don’t hold your breath.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeskWarrior wrote:
Hi everyone!

Cheers!

Keep at it then! Sounds great!

Chucksmanhood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
DeskWarrior wrote:

Cheers!

Only advice is to not count on friends and your husband to join. So many people say they want to or will say they’ll think about it just to humor you. It’ll be great if they do, but from personal experience, don’t hold your breath.

Oh they never join.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: