Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

qwertyqwerty
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Orange belt with white stripe Reply with quote

Hi

My son has just graduated to an Orange belt, yet there are other kids in the class who have Orange belts with white stripe across the middle. It i shotokan karate, can someone tell me which belt is of the higher rank?

Thanks,

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different organizations have different rules and rank structures. Most often, a belt with a white stripe through it is a “junior” or kids’ rank, while the solid belt is an adult rank. If one is considered higher, I think most places would consider the solid belt adult higher rank. Both would probably be the same whatever number kyu though.

Different dojos have different rules, even within the same organization. For example...

We don’t mix kids and adults in our classes, but there are sometimes kids who are transitioning to the adult class and are invited to adult classes. And we have a kata class where kids over a certain rank are allowed. When we line up, we line up by belt color and within the same color by who’s been at that rank longer. Kid or adult doesn’t matter. Senior rank on the right.

Our headquarters dojo doesn’t do it this way. In the few kid and adult together classes they have, adults line up by rank, highest to lowest, then kids line up highest to lowest. So an adult white belt would hypothetically line up to the right of a junior brown belt.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Different organizations have different rules and rank structures. Most often, a belt with a white stripe through it is a “junior” or kids’ rank, while the solid belt is an adult rank. If one is considered higher, I think most places would consider the solid belt adult higher rank. Both would probably be the same whatever number kyu though.

Different dojos have different rules, even within the same organization. For example...

We don’t mix kids and adults in our classes, but there are sometimes kids who are transitioning to the adult class and are invited to adult classes. And we have a kata class where kids over a certain rank are allowed. When we line up, we line up by belt color and within the same color by who’s been at that rank longer. Kid or adult doesn’t matter. Senior rank on the right.

Our headquarters dojo doesn’t do it this way. In the few kid and adult together classes they have, adults line up by rank, highest to lowest, then kids line up highest to lowest. So an adult white belt would hypothetically line up to the right of a junior brown belt.

Solid post!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our system, the stripe through the belt is the "low" rank, and a solid is a "high" rank; so we have a low orange belt rank that comes before hi orange belt rank.

Check with your instructor about how the rank system works, to be sure.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
In our system, the stripe through the belt is the "low" rank, and a solid is a "high" rank; so we have a low orange belt rank that comes before hi orange belt rank.

The organization I used to be in was the opposite. We’d have a stripe going through the belt to indicate a higher rank. The stripe wasn’t white though; it was the color of the next belt. So from yellow to green, it went solid yellow-yellow with green stripe, solid green. My current organization uses a patch we sew onto one end of the belt. We have 2 ranks at brown belt (and every other colored belt), 2nd kyu and 1st kyu. The second kyus wear a solid and plain brown belt. When I was promoted to 1st kyu, I was given a patch to sew onto my brown belt. It’s the school’s kanji, similar to what is embroidered on one end of the black belt.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

The organization I used to be in was the opposite. We’d have a stripe going through the belt to indicate a higher rank. The stripe wasn’t white though; it was the color of the next belt. So from yellow to green, it went solid yellow-yellow with green stripe, solid green. My current organization uses a patch we sew onto one end of the belt. We have 2 ranks at brown belt (and every other colored belt), 2nd kyu and 1st kyu. The second kyus wear a solid and plain brown belt. When I was promoted to 1st kyu, I was given a patch to sew onto my brown belt. It’s the school’s kanji, similar to what is embroidered on one end of the black belt.
There are so many ways to do rank designations, and the plethora of MA equipment companies provide no shortage of choices. This is why its so hard to determine from a forum discussion, because everyone does things a little bit differently.

Apricot_Blossom
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have already found the answer you were looking for. The replies about each organization having their own belt ranks are correct.

Ours has different age groups for kids:
- Tiny Tigers: Ages 3-4 (Belt is white w/colored stripe down the middle.

- Dragons: Age 5-6 (Belt are the typical a color w/white stripe down the middle)

- Karate Kids: Age 7 up (belt follows the adult ranks, however, after earning their brown belt with the black stripe, they become a junior black belt. The black belts have a color strip down the middle. Once they earn all their junior black belts, they can black belt test.)

I am sure other organizations are much different. I wanted to share ours to help show just how different they can be.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apricot_Blossom wrote:
You may have already found the answer you were looking for. The replies about each organization having their own belt ranks are correct.

Ours has different age groups for kids:
- Tiny Tigers: Ages 3-4 (Belt is white w/colored stripe down the middle.

- Dragons: Age 5-6 (Belt are the typical a color w/white stripe down the middle)

- Karate Kids: Age 7 up (belt follows the adult ranks, however, after earning their brown belt with the black stripe, they become a junior black belt. The black belts have a color strip down the middle. Once they earn all their junior black belts, they can black belt test.)

I am sure other organizations are much different. I wanted to share ours to help show just how different they can be.

Solid post!!

Welcome to KF, Apricot_Blossom; glad that you're here!!

Apricot_Blossom
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sensei8"]
Apricot_Blossom wrote:
Welcome to KF, Apricot_Blossom; glad that you're here!!

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: