Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Overly nervous student Reply with quote

Looking for advice for a student who is overly nervous about a test. This student is at the required skill level to be promoted and does reasonably well in regular training. Yet for some reason, as soon as there is mention of any sort of test this student completely freaks out and starts to doubt everything. It is not just karate as this issue has caused the student problems whenever going through any evaluation, even school exams. How can one help such a person?

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student who would get nearly sick to his stomach just mentioning the word "test." This was an adult student, a talented artist, & very confident in his career. In class, he did really well. This man was (& is ) a dear friend of mine for many years before he was my student. I'm not sure if he was afraid of looking bad, letting me down (somehow) or what.

I think showing kindness & understanding of the student's feelings as you continue to stretch the student's comfort zone. MA is merely the current opportunity for the student to help them grow past what they think they can do. As instructors, we need to be understanding of how hard this is for them. We are there for them. We won't push them to do something that we don't think they can do. But also want them to do more than they think they are capable of doing. I think the best way to do that is to make the test the obstacle, rather than me, the instructor, being the focus as the person who gives the obstacle. I, as the instructor, have been through many tests. I get it. They're hard, anxiety-producing events. "Student X, I'm here to help you through the same thing I've been through the same thing you're about to go through. I will help you."

Sadly, I know too many instructors who love being the bad guy at belt tests. "You're going to have to take this belt from me. And you're going to have to suffer to get it." This is a turn off to even confident students.

I hope that helps.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test a student with testing anxieties by themselves! This is where I'd start!

Students with testing anxieties don't want to fail in any degree, nor do they want to let others down, nor do they want to let themselves down. After all, they're being tested...questioned...so on and so forth, and, this all takes place in front of a crowd.

Testing cycles are part of everyday life. We're being tested on the most simple things as well as the most difficult things daily, both in and out of the MA school. As nerve racking as testing cycles can be, the instructor has to calm the situation down to the best of their abilities. I know. At times, if not all of the time, that's easier said than done.

Nonetheless, if the student can't overcome the anxieties, no matter how small or large, then they can't pass the test, or for that fact, can't even be invited to the testing cycle. That student has to make a concentrated effort in overcoming their testing anxieties, no matter what.

I let students know that the testing cycle will take care of itself. Them worrying about the test and its outcome is a futile effort, at best. Do their best, and forget about any mistakes, because, mistakes will happen...and after the mistake has happened, there's nothing they can do about it. As in any test, the testing candidate doesn't ever have to score 100%, therefore, one can make marginal mistakes, and still pass the darn thing.

It's also how the instructor approaches said testing cycles. Like a drill sergeant or as a mild mannered instructor; one will increase the testing anxiety while the other will not. Pick one!!

One isn't required to pass EVERY TESTING CYCLE...it's practically impossible to do so!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Looking for advice for a student who is overly nervous about a test. This student is at the required skill level to be promoted and does reasonably well in regular training. Yet for some reason, as soon as there is mention of any sort of test this student completely freaks out and starts to doubt everything. It is not just karate as this issue has caused the student problems whenever going through any evaluation, even school exams. How can one help such a person?

Sounds a little bit like Imposter Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome)

IcemanSK's advice is good. I think it's important to encourage but not pressure the student. Maybe help them to focus on their previous successes and use that to motivate them this time?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a lot of students who are like that where they have an anxiety towards testing. Normally it is because there is stress towards it and that they are anxious that they may fail and that they will see themselves as failures.

It happens all the time to some of my students.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion..
In our Dojo we've introduced in the last few months the idea of a 'pre-grading'.
A session held a week before the actual grading for students to help get students more familiar with the whole situation, and where a little more polish is needed!

Its important to note that we also hold our gradings in private, so just like the real grading these pre-gradings are held in private as well, its just them and the grading panel in attendance!

They are treated as if they were actually grading but unlike a real grading come the end there is no 'pass or fail' conversation, its a 'work on this and that' chat!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing for this student would be putting him into the testing situations more and more often. Otherwise, he won't learn to manage the stress of the situation. Something you might do in the future is have him participate in a testing that he isn't ready for, just so he has to be back in the environment. After its done, tell him he wasn't testing for rank, but just to display knowledge. That might be what it takes to get him to learn how to control how he feels, or at least come to terms with it and learn to deal with it better.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think the best thing for this student would be putting him into the testing situations more and more often. Otherwise, he won't learn to manage the stress of the situation. Something you might do in the future is have him participate in a testing that he isn't ready for, just so he has to be back in the environment. After its done, tell him he wasn't testing for rank, but just to display knowledge. That might be what it takes to get him to learn how to control how he feels, or at least come to terms with it and learn to deal with it better.

Solid post!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great helpful input everyone. For the student in question, it is likely that most of the stress felt comes from within the individual's own mind. It is a classical case of a person who clearly underestimates himself.

Basically he does not know that he knows despite the instructor being certain that the student has the skills level to deserve the new grade. Testing by nature is stressful and anyone who has been through any kind of test can attest to this.

The way the instructor dealt with it in this case was to remove the psychological stress. In other words, the student was asked to do everything required to the best of his ability without being told it was the test. This took away all nervousness or anxiety and allowed the student to do his best without any pressure.

The only ones who knew it was not just a regular class were the sensei and a few blackbelts. The student passed with success because there was nothing to worry about and all he had to do was concentrate on doing his best.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Great helpful input everyone. For the student in question, it is likely that most of the stress felt comes from within the individual's own mind. It is a classical case of a person who clearly underestimates himself.

Basically he does not know that he knows despite the instructor being certain that the student has the skills level to deserve the new grade. Testing by nature is stressful and anyone who has been through any kind of test can attest to this.

The way the instructor dealt with it in this case was to remove the psychological stress. In other words, the student was asked to do everything required to the best of his ability without being told it was the test. This took away all nervousness or anxiety and allowed the student to do his best without any pressure.

The only ones who knew it was not just a regular class were the sensei and a few blackbelts. The student passed with success because there was nothing to worry about and all he had to do was concentrate on doing his best.

It's good to hear you found a solution that was helpful. Did the student figure out they were being tested during the test, or was a surprise until afterward?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: