Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Patches Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

I've long felt like designing a patch for your dojo/dojang/school/etc. was sort of the mark of "making it official." I created mine a good while ago, now, but COVID changed all my plans for opening. I just received my first batch of printed patches, today, and I've gotta say, it feels pretty great! These are simple 25% embroidery patches, so they are the cheapest option available, basically. Has anyone gone with the fancier printed or PVC patches? Are they worth the investment?

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice patch, will as far as investment will you be charging for the patches when new students first get their Gi? Or will you be charging for the patch whenever a student needs to buy a new gi?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Very nice patch, will as far as investment will you be charging for the patches when new students first get their Gi? Or will you be charging for the patch whenever a student needs to buy a new gi?

Really just when they first get their dogi, or when they need to replace a worn out patch. I wasn't sure if the other patch options might last longer, or look nicer.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
The Pred wrote:

Really just when they first get their dogi, or when they need to replace a worn out patch. I wasn't sure if the other patch options might last longer, or look nicer.

Maybe you can use the other kind for yourself to test it out.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noah, your patch design and all, from what I can tell, look quite solid across the board; looks very nice.

I've been using PVC patches for as long as I can remember. I've tried other types of patches, but for one reason or another, I never stayed with them. The PVC patches seem to last through the wears and tears of training and the like.

Quote:
Are they worth the investment?

Yeah, that of course depends on the individual across the board. Imho, patches, especially PVC's are worth the investment. After all of the trails and tribulations, I finally found a manufacturer that meet my criteria's.

In this area, quality is above all things. After that, affordability. I'd send in a rough drawing, and they'd work with me until we reached the final draft. The manufacturer I use now, and have been for a very long time, they've from day one, always sent me a sample product so that I could handle it, but I'd not get that sample until I authorized the final drawing. After that, if I was cool with what it looked like in my hands, I'd place an order; the more I ordered, the more I saved.

Beyond the price costs of said patch to put on owns gi, there's the marketing of that patches design. I could now use that patch to transfer it to practically anything, and I mean anything. Pens, hats, t-shirts, car decals, jackets, training equipment, business cards, drink koozie's, so on and so forth.

For those schools of the MA that don't believe in putting patches on their gi or anything on their gi, that's cool; to each their own. My dojo has always been my business, and any business needs to advertise beyond word of mouth, which is still the best advertising.

In the beginning, any patch manufacturing company I used, the treads would not sustain after 6 months. Then I found PVC, and I've not looked back ever since.

That's me.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other options, but I like your design!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: