Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Politics in MA, with GMs, and switching styles Reply with quote

OK, here is the scenario. My wife's cousin has moved from Kansas to New Mexico. In Taos, New Mexico, her new home town, there is no Tradtional Taekwondo Association school, which is the association her and I are both with. She has started her own business, and has no interest in starting a TKD school on her own.

She wants to continue her training, and has found an ATA school there. I know who the Master is there, and I told her that I have had seminars and testings with him, and that he is a great instructor. I think she said she is signing up this week.

Anyway, here is the meat of the story. She talked to the Grandmaster of the TTA, and said she wanted to continue working out. She told him about the school she found to work out at, and he became angry with her. He does not want her changing styles. He claims it is about loyalty, I think it runs a touch deeper than that. Our GM is also the kind that does not like cross training. He says "TKD is all you need." Well, being in TKD for 13 years, and loving every minute of it, I can say that is boloney. I think it is political, and he is using his rank to try to intimidate her.

I told her to go ahead and sign up with the other school. I told her that even instructors and GMs should realize that the martial arts is our own personal journey. Yes, we do need someone to help us get started, but we all finish on our own. His feelings kind of anger me, and I know that my instructor is kind of the same way. If there was a ground fighting school of some kind here, he would not let me attend it, without repercussions, like expulsion.

Well, there is my long rant. I would like to know what everyone else thinks. And I also appreciate the time that anyone will put into reading such a long post that isn't in the articles section!

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "GM" dosen't deserrve to be. He would've lost my respect immediately.

Your current instructor needs to wake up. Maybe after 13 years it's time you take your journey down a slightly different path.

parkerlineage
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: American Kenpo - 12 years; Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu - Starting! (Dabbled in Wushu, Eagle Claw)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and your wife's cousin are in the right. Any instructor who insists that a martial artist shape their path around what that instructor wishes is unfit to lead, in my opinion, or at least make decisions in that aspect.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Politics in MA, with GMs, and switching styles Reply with quote

TigerDude wrote:
The first "GM" dosen't deserrve to be. He would've lost my respect immediately.

Your current instructor needs to wake up. Maybe after 13 years it's time you take your journey down a slightly different path.

Believe me, if I did not live in such a restricted area, I would. But, where I live, there are 2 MA schools in town, and the other just does not interest me.

However, if I ever have to move to a more populated area, with lots of options, you can bet that I would be looking around.

I also constantly read books and try to find different ways to do things. I am reading an ebook on Applied Karate right now, with the goal in mind to develop workable bunkai for the forms system that my current style uses. I just don't think my instructor is that open-minded.

alsey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan (2nd dan), jujitsu (3rd kyu), kendo (1st dan).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a master wants students to train exclusively in his style, then he should make that clear in the beginning. he's got a terrible attitude if you ask me, not what you want in a GM. someone at that level should be very humble and open minded, and he evidently isn't.
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Bluetulipx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started in WTF TKD and loved every minute of it. I then moved to England and took up ITF TKD (because I could not find WTF) and then followed with Aikido and then Kick Boxing.

Now that I have all 3, the idea that I would have to give one up is just too difficult. I have thought about it, but each one has something that the others just don't have.

As bushido_man stated:

Quote:
...the martial arts is our own personal journey. Yes, we do need someone to help us get started, but we all finish on our own

When I started in Aikido and Kick Boxing, I clearly explained that I was taking TKD and that was my first priority. I said right up front that if it was a problem then I would not attend their class, but my instructors have all been fine with it. (I also said I did not want to be rushed through my gradings and all of my instructors are fine with that too.)

Maybe I have just been lucky

Zorbasan
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan and ICHF Hapkido plus any other style i can get into a seminar on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if a GM is not for cross training, they should not be called a GM. after all, it is just a name they have given to themselves because they may be the highest rank in their organisation. all they have really done is outlived the others.

im waiting for the first court case due to discrimination of someone cos they cant train in 1 art because they do another.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens in this day and age.

RichardHangHong
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Seitou Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like controlling behaviour to me mixed in with a bit of healthy paranoia. After 13 years you'd think that the GM would know how loyal one of his students is. It's a case of practicality, if there's no class available in her current style then finding the closest thing possible is the next best thing.
Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGregory wrote:
Sounds a bit like controlling behaviour to me mixed in with a bit of healthy paranoia. After 13 years you'd think that the GM would know how loyal one of his students is. It's a case of practicality, if there's no class available in her current style then finding the closest thing possible is the next best thing.

That is kind of what I think, too. If I was a GM, or even a chief instructor, I would be helping the person to find a school in their new home town just so they could continue training, regardless if it is a TKD school, BJJ, or whatever. Just keep training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: