Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Baldor
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, 6 kyu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Pre-workout at competition Reply with quote

If it's not ok, then please delete my post.

I am going here at the end of July to a karate tournament, and I can feel when I train that there is a big difference in my performance if I have had a particular food and drink before I have to perform.

Is there any pre-workout I can take during the day to have sharpened focus and mind. I do not want to cheat or take illegal drugs but to be the best version of myself on the day. I have never taken a pre-workout before, so I do not know if it can also give extra focus and be on point?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know your body, and so the best we can do is recommend what works for us. Your best bet is to sample a good range of products and stick with what you like best.

That being said, the thing that gives you focus in pre-workout is mostly the caffeine. If you have a favored energy drink I would suggest going with that instead of trying something new so close to the tournament.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the pre-workout supplements you give yourself because some can make your heart race.

This is based on my personal experience. I have a buddy who is a registered dietitian, and they recently gave me advice to consume some healthy carbs, such as whole grain pasta, etc.

I felt fantastic after doing it with a decent cup of coffee.
A healthy supper is essential before engaging in strenuous activity.
I've occasionally overexerted myself and felt tired after eating poorly before exercising

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
This is based on my personal experience. I have a buddy who is a registered dietitian, and they recently gave me advice to consume some healthy carbs, such as whole grain pasta, etc.

The most consistent advice that I have been given from dieticians is the best way to get macros and micros is to eat foods in which those things occur naturally. I have protein powder because I take Adderall and that kills my appetite so it's a good way to get extra calories, but overall if you're looking for more protein, or energy, or anything from a supplement, your best bet is to eat more food with a higher density of those nutrients.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: