Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be going to tournament end of next month. Its been years!! I have to see where I figure in age-wise and that will determine if I choose to spar or not ... but regardless I would like to compete in forms. (I have been doing Kwang-gae forever now!)
So my question is "How do you all prepare yourselves psychologically and tactically with regards to forms and sparring in competition??"

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-12 09:12 ]

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balls and cheese with pies!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before a bout i keep to myself and i mentally psyhc myself up. i just keep it all bottled up within me and when i got in the ring i unleash it and i do what i gotta do to win

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like KickChick, I also would like to know how to prepare for competition, knowing that the Grandmaster will be watching in my particular case. It's about 6 weeks away and already I'm as nervous as a prostitute at Sunday mass. My instructor says our group will do fine, but would like to know what others have done to prepare. Any thoughts KSN Doug?

[ This Message was edited by: zr440 on 2002-02-12 13:35 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your end performance is affected by many things, here are a few

Sleep
Diet
Practice
Financial Situation
Relationships
Contact with Friends/families

Blah blah blah

Basically, for the best performance, you need a balanced lifestyle, you need to train hard, concentrate most on sparring and your form, but get plenty of rest too. Also, Meditating and visualising the day will help a lot, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZR440!! too funny! ...
yeah I hear ya! I am in good physical shape but mentally I'm scared to death!
I doubt I will be entering the sparring comp (still waiting on age ranking on that and have a slight fracture of foot after last nights spar)but will do forms and possibly breaking. I know how to prepare for breaking.... but I have done my form for so long it lacks umpf!
I need to, I guess work on snaps, breathing with each technique (you know making that sound)... and getting a rhythm going. Stomping with the blocks and so forth. I have an awesome high front kick that comes at end of form that I am sure will wow the judges. I guess I DO know what to do. But should I bother watching different videos of how my form is done to get different perspectives. Does anyone have any web sites that offer say RealPlayer or WindowMedia mpegs or .mov's on Kwang Gae?

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-12 14:52 ]

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not enter the sparring either. But it's not because of any health problems, rather it's because I will probably be new belt color only a few weeks before. In KSW we really don't do much sparring anyway, and to go against someone who has been at a certain level makes me reconsider. However, my instructor recently took first in sparring at an open tournament, so I guess he can give me some tips. As far as forms go, I look great one week and the next week look like @$#&. It doesn't matter how much I practice. And since this is a closed tournament it makes it even more difficult mentally. Oh joy.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

This may seem like a stupid thing to say but...

I always tell my students that they should be worried. If you are not worried, then something is wrong.

Before I was about to appear on stage in Ibiza I was told by an entertainer (he had been entertaining for years) that the day that he stops being nervous is the day that he quits the business.

One of my students was very 'confident' (notice the 's), and he thought he could beat anyone, and that everyone else was crap.

Needless to say he messed up his kata and came last. Oh yeah, and he messed up his sparring.

Guess there's a lesson to be learnt there.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tobias that it is good to be nervous beofre a comp. If you can harness this nervouness and not let it take over you will find you are actually sharper. What I tend to do in the weeks leading up to a comp is increase my level of training but not too much. Plenty of sleep and on the day of the event not over eating. When I arrive at the event itself and after registration etc I try to find a quiet corner and go through my kata..I do however slow them down considerably and concentrate on breathing and resistance. After I am finished this...some jump rope and the a little stretching. Works for me as it's now my routine. Good luck in the comp.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: