Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of out-of-shape fighters, does anyone remember Butterbean? IIRC, he fought way better than you would expect just by looking at him.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamo wrote:
That's funny Wastelander since I'm from Peoria. You described it correctly. Cornfields and crazy drinking.

What fights did you go to? Where they put on by Pekin Martial Arts Academy? Somebody else?

Oops, sorry I missed this--they were in Pekin at the Dragon Dome, but it was marketed as "HIVE MMA", I believe. The guys from Granite City were decent, but everyone else was pathetic. I'm from a little town roughly between Morton and Pekin, by the way.

JohnASE wrote:
Speaking of out-of-shape fighters, does anyone remember Butterbean? IIRC, he fought way better than you would expect just by looking at him.

You have to remember that "fat" does not necessarily equal "out of shape". I have known a lot of guys with plenty of fat on them that have better cardio and strength than me, and I do believe that constitutes being "in shape" despite outward appearances.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pro Fighters -- Really? Reply with quote

Iron Arahat wrote:
I went to the School of Hard Knocks event here in Calgary this past Friday on the request of one of my friends who I will be cornering in his first bout this August in New York. He had asked me to come and see the fights, as he was interested in taking a fight after his debut in NYC, he is boxing, but is thinking about taking on a MMA fight.

I was surprised when the "pro" bouts came around. I am not sure how some of these guys were considered "pro", as it was evident that they had very little fight experience, and to be honest some of them I would be embarrassed to step into the ring looking that out of shape. I am curious if local MMA events all around North America, if the "pro" events have some people that have really no business in a ring let alone calling themselves a pro.

Fights were entertaining, but that is only because these guys came out and threw punches like your typical bar brawler and that most the fights ended fast. I also have to say that tapping out due to strikes is pretty lame...

I think there are two different definitions of professional here. If I assume correctly, your definition (and mine) of "professional" means a high level of skill. Typically I've found that when most other people refer to "professional" they mean that they are getting paid for it. For example: Ben Afleck is a professional actor...that doesn't mean he's any good

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always does being of Pro status mean payment; albeit, it also seeks the companionship of being in a sanctioned relationship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: