Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Profanity in martial arts Reply with quote

As an adult profanity isn't an issue for me, but those that use it in their videos are not considering younger children might be present.

There are many interesting videos worth watching but once the language turns vulgar it looses validity in my eyes.

By not using any profanity their audience would be much larger and they would become more popular.

Martial artists are known to be tough, using profanity isn't going to make them any more tougher.

I don't recall hearing anyone wearing a GI and describing their techniques with added foul language; I have the up most respect for all of them in this regard.

When the CI uses foul language, this surely cannot be setting a good example to students.

Are these valid points or is vulgar language something marital artists are starting to adopt and incorporate to seem intimidating?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they're human beings, it doesn't mean that they know how to act like a human being!!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I may use foul language sometimes, I feel that it would be very disrespectful to use it in the dojo and I consciously refrain from doing so.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When wanting to use the F word, I replace it with the word "Frankenstein" this usually takes the seriousness out and puts a laugh in its place.

All profanity really is, is not being able to find the right word in the moment.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fudge" is an oldie, but a goodie also..........

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We train at a Boys and Girls Club, so even during the adult class when the kids aren't allowed upstairs, we still try to censor our language just in case one of them comes up or our voices carry down the stairs. There's very little profanity during our classes. I don't mind if other people want to use it at their own dojos or on the internet. I don't think it's people's responsibility to censor their language on the internet in case kids are watching. I think it's the parents' responsibility to pay attention to what their kids are watching.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho,

There's no profanity in the MA!! However, there's profanity in the human factor.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Martial Arts, I believe that there should be no Profanity of any kind whilst teaching or training.

Why?????

Because using profanity (in my eyes) is a lazy mans way of talking and using language.

Do I use another language to use such language? Nope, no way jose.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people use it to be intimidating. It's just how they talk. It doesn't make you sound smart, but it can drive home a point.

Everyone is stylistically a bit different on this. If I'm on the mat for our fundamentals class I try to never use it. There are kids and parents still floating in and out and it's less than appropriate.

Once we get to the advanced class, I'm a bit more free since now we're all adults. Stylistically, I don't use it in periods of instruction, but I might let it creep in at a PG level to illustrate a point during an example or a side bar conversation.

Now, move to our Friday night comp class or Saturday self defense class. It's all adults. It's more high energy. It's less instruction and more drilling. I'll let stuff slip here and there without much worry while I'm demo-ing or teaching because it's more appropriate to the setting.

Now, I leave the gym and go teach a class at the range. I'm talking like I normally do. I don't make a point to cuss, nor do I avoid it. It's setting specific. Now, I go from a civilian range and work my day job at the range with a bunch of cops or go to a SWAT training with guys I've been with for years.... Then all bets are off. Simply because it's situational normal.

Now, this is a BJJ perspective on things with a bit of day to day thrown in for context. I totally get that some gyms will be far more or less permissive. That's okay. It's your traditions.

It's just not something I worry about at ton as long as it's situationally appropriate.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Profanity is part of every language and has been around since times immemorial. The basic purpose of profanity is to shock and express sudden outbursts of emotion. Martial arts training requires concentration and self-control. Profanity does have its place, but it is not in the training area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: