Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this idea? There is just one race. The human race. We can procreate with people of different skin color. I can accept a blood transfusion from someone of differinf skin color. A more appropriate term would be ethnicity. But I will grant Ethnicism sounds kind of dumb. And I get tired of being called WHITE. We are all shades of brown or some other color, but not WHITE. Paper is white. In the summer, I can become very dark, due to a little native american blood in my family line. People need to stop thinking in terms of color. Starting making up your mind on an individual basis. You might find you like more people than you thought.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, just while we are on the subject, political correctness makes things worse. You are what you are and you should be proud of what you are.

I heard a story about an Aikido dojo in NY, a Muslim guy came to learn, but he would not bow to the Ki sign, the picture of O Sensei Ueshiba (Which is common practice in Aikido) and he would not bow to women. Regardless of his beliefs, he should also respect that of Aikido. The Sensei at this club refused to teach him.

Take Care.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we humans are great when it comes to make simple trhings very complicated about this bow-not to bow ... if they obey the rules, they can stay, if not, they are free to go. We can't change rules just to be OK for everyone.

XjourneyX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: aikido kickboxing jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racism is 1 of the things i will not tolirate.
people r people and dickheads r dickheads it dont matter what there skin couler is.

1 thing i hav noticed is how meny people dont think of them selfs as racist but say things like "those bloody pak***" and the clasic "im not rasised but" and go on 2 spout a lode of racised crap.
its amazing how much racist tention there is just below the serfice. and how quickly people back trak when confrunted with there own racism

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most training halls are societies, to ask if societies discriminate would be a rhetorical one at best...

One thing I have done, based on some unfortunate instances when I taught in a racially diverse area, is to drop the term master. Several black youths dramatically informed me of what they thought of "white masters."

Also, it's more like the style of my mentors. White uniforms. Plain black belts. The humility thing.

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kchenault"]How about this idea? There is just one race. The human race. We can procreate with people of different skin color. I can accept a blood transfusion from someone of differinf skin color. A more appropriate term would be ethnicity. But I will grant Ethnicism sounds kind of dumb. And I get tired of being called WHITE. We are all shades of brown or some other color, but not WHITE. Paper is white. In the summer, I can become very dark, due to a little native american blood in my family line. People need to stop thinking in terms of color. Starting making up your mind on an individual basis. You might find you like more people than you thought. [/quote]

I saw a recently published article in which dna differences and similarities among peoples were not at all tied to skin color. I'll have to think about where I read it, but it goes to your point.

S. Sakai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Go Ju Karate, Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm chinese. No not one bit. Always feel welcome. Almost grading for Brown and practice two-three times a week for about two years now.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kchenault wrote:
How about this idea? There is just one race. The human race. We can procreate with people of different skin color. I can accept a blood transfusion from someone of differinf skin color. A more appropriate term would be ethnicity. But I will grant Ethnicism sounds kind of dumb. And I get tired of being called WHITE. We are all shades of brown or some other color, but not WHITE. Paper is white. In the summer, I can become very dark, due to a little native american blood in my family line. People need to stop thinking in terms of color. Starting making up your mind on an individual basis. You might find you like more people than you thought.

AMEN Ken!!

"We are all colored people living in a colored world-and they call us the HUMAN RACE."
DCTalk

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never tolerate racism/ethnicism in any dojo I participate in. Many of my closest friends were of different ethnic origin than myself, and so is my girlfriend. My current dojo has a bit of every colour right now.

PhilM1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shorin ryu, BJJ, kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"UNITY"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13
Jump to: