Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just wondered, has anyone ever encountered racism at their dojo or club?

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have encountered none, but I have definitely heard stories of these types of cases. Many traditional instructors (karate, kung fu, etc. AND THIS IS JUST WHAT I HAVE HEARD), not to put anyone down, tend to give special or preferential treatment to say probably Chinese or Japanese or Korean or whoever b/c they still harbor those traditional yet close minded and misguided feelings that many of our grandparents or even parents may still have. I know that many kung fu instructors were reluctant to teach non-Chinese in the past when they first immigrated here to the U.S. and if they are still alive right now, I wouldn't put it past them to keep the same attitudes that they did before. HOWEVER, in terms of having biased feelings in general, unfortunately I feel that this is much more common than outwardly exhibited racial discrimination, and will occur in individuals of all sizes, shapes, ages, and race. This, to me, is just as bad and is an even bigger problem b/c you cannot see it and people hide it. Stereotypes and bias are engrained into most of our minds and, quite frankly, we almost automatically pigeonhole everyone we see because it is so much easier for our minds, because that is all we have to go on. It would be tough for me to honestly say that when I look at a giant muscle bound guy with a tattoo in a dojo, that I don't have any preconceived notions about what he is like or what kind of background he may have had, or what type of temperment he may have.

Sorry don't want to get into Sociology 375 or any of that right now. I am fortunate enough not to have experienced or witnessed any outward blatant bias or discriminatory treatment (at least in my experiences related to martial arts).

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 28 years never, not overtly that I have ever noticed

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just wondered b/c my friend had encountered many racial engagements at his dojo.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind, Phantasmic?

Although I have never seen any racism at my dojang, I have witnessed biases against the physically and mentally handicapped, the young, the old, women, and men who fit the gay stereotypes. This is usually halted immediately by my instructor, and is always a result of the ignorance of some dumb idiot.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see you joined the forum back phantasmatic after saying you were goin to leave
welcome back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to the popular belief.....

EVERYONE IS A RACIST.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel that everyone is a racist, even though I do believe that everyone has perhaps had information that is either prejudicial in nature or somewhat stereotypical (generalization of certain issues, ideas, opposite sex, ethnicities, etc.) hammered into their minds as children. It is natural human tendency to pigeonhole and make generalizations b/c it is so much easier for our minds. I don't believe that having these thoughts makes you racist. This point is obviously debatable. But I feel that everyone has preconceived thinking about the opposite sex and many will act differently towards the opposite sex than towards the same sex (different/preferential or non-preferential treatment). I don't think that it means that everyone is sexist. Once again, that is debatable, but it is just my two cents.

I also think that there is a HUGE difference between harboring those feelings and letting those feelings affect you in a way that motivates you to act upon those feelings (often resulting in open hostility, hate crimes, etc.). However, I also feel that it is not the hate crimes which are the biggest threat but those feelings of prejudice which remain uncovered. It's kind of hard to explain. I guess I would have to say that having feelings or thoughts which may be prejudicial in nature does not mean one is 'racist'. More on this later if necessary

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is black and some instructors (i can tell) hate him for no reason and I dislike it so much.

I have come back because I forgive easily

And thank you ad for spelling my name CORRECTLY!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Phantasmatic on 2002-02-19 14:40 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been fortunate in not encountering any biases in the dojo. I have been extremely fortunate to train under instructers who are open minded and willing to accept an eager student.

Phantasmatic I hope your friend finds a new dojo where they will accept him for who he is and respect his desire to learn the martial arts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: