Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mai tai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was in tkd i always thought the tournaments were rigged. in the sparring you ussually really had to dominiatly beat an asian to get a win. (especally if he was a student of a renoun master). in forms not a chance asians never lost. it was like 1,2,3 korean then the rest.

i also trained tkd in korea for a year (was stationed there in the army).

ther they were openly racist. in fact they dont even think anything is wrong with it. and not just in the dojo. for example i have been told that only koreas can own property there. also they are hate interracial relationships and are always talking about keeping there race "pure"

i trained in thailand also for 3 weeks (pleaseure trip)
they were very accepting and if there was racism i didnt see it.

Sabumnim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ITF Tae-Kwon Do (1st deg), Shotokan Karate (3rd dan)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Manchester where everyone is thrown in together, the only racism I experienced was when half of my family was visited by the 5 0 after the Manchester bombing. I'm originally from Belfast along with my ma and her family.

My dad is protestant Scottish and my mum catholic Irish, who thought that was good idea...

I'm like a pitbull, seriously confused

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, ive never really had any experience of it, but i can see where the asian bias may come from with some people

UpTheIrons
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very fortunate that neither my Tae Kwon Do organization nor my Aikido organization seem to be racist. My Tae Kwon Do Grandmaster has made it a point of recommending several of his black students to the highest levels of the organization (6th Dan Senior Instructor). One of these Instructors has been the tournament director for several years now. Ironically, among the Korean students in Grand Rapids, none has achieved Master level yet. More ironically, their instructor (a white man) has attained 7th Dan level. He is married to a Chinese woman he met in China.
Another of our Instructors, a 6th Dan and black, has a large organization in the Ken-Ten region, and many of his students are black as well. I don't think he actively recruits them, I think it is more they see other black students in class along with the Instructor and feel more comfortable there. But there is definitely no racial bias either way. I do know the students have a tremendous amount of respect for each other.

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"
Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to mai tai's comment about looking down on interracial dating in Korea: that happens here too not just there. And it happens to every race not just white guys. You've never seen a black girl and a white guy get funny looks when they hold hands? You've never heard the stereotypes that Asians are bad drivers or they are all math geeks. As for competition have you ever considered that they may have just been better? I know in fights rigging happens, but look at Steven Lopez. The Korean team has been trying to beat him for what 6 years now, no success yet. You can't worry about what is happening behind the scenes, you have to roll with it and win anyways. I know that some associations won't permit non-Asians to be among their highest ranks, but if you really think about it that is a point of honor. It is their national sport after all, and shouldn't it be fitting to have one of their own be the head of their association. No offense, but to them having a white guy be the head of their style would be like having an Asian be the head of the Canadian Hockey League.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

ravenzoom
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:

Quote:
No offense, but to them having a white guy be the head of their style would be like having an Asian be the head of the Canadian Hockey league

Good point! Coming from Canada and being a huge hockey fan I agree!!

UseoForce
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Combat Hapkido, MMA/BJJ, Various others

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll ever find racism in my school. When you're on the mat fighting tooth and claw for that armbar, race is the last thing to think about. My school isn't traditional, but we all respect eachother. We all know what everyone else is capable of. I've never even seen an argument in my school (Knock on wood)

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the "playing field" whne its truely down to skill and not a judges interpertation its pretty impossible for racism to influence it.... if your both going at it to win as UseoForce says - the last thing on your mind is OH MY GOD HE's [INSERT RACE HERE], IM DEFINITELY GOING TO WIN / LOSE - mostly you're concentrating on whats gonig on.

Goju_boi
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju ryu , Kobudo , and just started Capoeira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent experienced any yet,but I've heard that the schools in chinatown over here won't accept u that easily.At first it will be kinda awkward for them but after a while the get used 2 u and become friends (considering youre not asian)

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada it happens here and then but its never said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: