Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Rank above 5 th DAN ....true or false Reply with quote

I would like to state most 5- 10TH dans never tested for the rank and had it handed to them. I get disgusted when I see 7th - 10th who promoted themselves by creating there own style of stolen techniques, paid and joined a "federation" and jumped 5 rank leveles, or my fav " the students promoted them. In alot of system it would close to 20 years to go from 1ST DAN - 6TH DAN, yet there are hundreds of 9th - 10th dans who made the rise from 1st kyu to 9th-10th degree in 20 years I find that very hard to accept.

I do not want to get into a children program vs adult program that is already a thread please see my comments there. I am refering to adults which means you recieved you 1st dan earlist 16. The fact is even if you were a 1st dan by 16 , 6th by 36 how can you jump to 9th in less than 5 years. The only way is to LIE, BE GIVEN, NOT EARNED.
Who is prompting the 10th dans to that rank. A person can not promote someone to the same rank as they are a 1st can not promote a person to 1st, a 2nd can not promote to 2nd, and so on. I would like to see all your thoughts on this.

As always IMHO

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Its not the age its the skills is important:

They probabely go every lessons to achive those 9th and 1oth dan and work hard for it...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot promote someone to the same rank as you are, then how are there 10th dans? By the same reasoning, you could also say that there cannot be any ranks, because a tenth dan could promote his students to 9th. These students could never promote anyone beyond 8th, then those 8th dans can't promote beyond 7th ... and so on until we have a world full of 10th kyus.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMR you are starting to see my point a 10th can promote to 8th or 9th dan. Why can't the 9TH dan request the 10TH dan his teacher test his student when the time comes. Becuase his EGO would have to admit thier is someone of higher rank. So how can there be so many 10th dans , answer is that they break off of thier instructor , create a name and declare themselves the head of a new style teaching the same techniques his teacher taught him. What is wrong with not getting higher than 8th dan and spending 30 + years getting there. The only answer is EGO.
Your ranking really has little to do with how good your techniques are. Only pratice effects your techniques. IF two 4th dans train together, have equal abilities they split wins in sparring. clearly are equal. One tests and is awarded 5th and the other choses not to stays a 4th. Does the 5th suddenly have better techniques than the 4th, NO.

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the emphasis on ranks above 5th is ridiculous. Why should anyone desire such a rank? When did 4th and 5th dan become inadequate to do run a dojo, teach, be an authority on a subject, or give seminars? That is the problem I have with all these ranks that are being obtained. It is removing value from legitimate t ranks that denote teaching ability and certain levels of mastery. Now days in the states, if you don’t have a 9th or 10th degree then no one is listening to you. I don’t think rank would even matter if people would take time to evaluate an instructor based on what he is teaching and where he got it rather then his rank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kempocos wrote:
Your ranking really has little to do with how good your techniques are.

To some degree, this should be true. If you do not agree with this statement, then you would also agree that there are no high dan rankings because as you grow older, your technique worsens. It's a fact of life. Now would you demote your instructor because he is too old and feeble to perform the techniques he teaches? Your rank should be an award given for your passing a test or satisfying some other requirement when you were asked to do it. Once it is given to you, no one has the right to take it away. Think about what would happen if your high school had the right to repo your diploma if you couldn't pass your exams later in life.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMR - "If you do not agree with this statement, then you would also agree that there are no high dan rankings because as you grow older, your technique worsens. It's a fact of life."

Very good point.

SMR - "Now would you demote your instructor because he is too old and feeble to perform the techniques he teaches? Your rank should be an award given for your passing a test or satisfying some other requirement when you were asked to do it. Once it is given to you, no one has the right to take it away"

This is another good point, No the rank was earned not self granted, or given by a group who does not have the authority such as the instructors students. I have seen where the students were so impressed the prompted thier instructor from 4 th dan to 9 th dan because they really liked him, and to this day the guy still refers to himself a a 9th dan.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very few people has been given the rank 10th dan by the japanese karate federation/association what have u. those are the only valid 10th dan karatekas in my book.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to * anyone off,but I think that this is more of a problem in the U.S then say Europe. How students can promote their sensei is beyond me.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Hanshi is a 9th dan who has been in the martial arts for close to 38 years. He will never be a 10th dan because his Sensei (John Pachivas) passed away on valentines day 2000. Hanshi John Pachivas would be the only one that could promote him to 10th dan. I don't think he will ever award that rank to himself, after all as our Hanshi says "ranks are earned, never given".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: