Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: realistic vs ideal training time Reply with quote

Martial arts is just like any other skill and takes time to develop. When starting out everybody has either asked their instructor or wondered how long it would take to be able to do xyz or reach a level of ability. The answer of course is that it depends on the person and a whole lot of other variables.

A better question people ought to ask themselves is how much time can they actually afford to spend training including on their own when the school is not open or the instructor not available.

Unless one is a professional who trains or teaches for a living, the time one hopes to train or spend practising is very different than what is actually manageable without causing conflict in other parts of daily living.

Time management skills and dedication are probably the best qualities for a newcomer to have for martial arts. Especially for adult students whose time is spent on either education, work, family or all of those! What time is left for practising martial arts?

If you are in this situation what is the difference between the time you aim to spend doing martial arts and what is actually manageable and realistic?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained for a long time on my own, and timing is certainly an issue. It depends on a lot of factors, especially what type of training you plan on doing. If you are including stretching and conditioning along with technique, this can take a while. If you are only including technique (like kihon practice, kata practice, etc.) this time can be reduced.

I think it is practical and realistic to set aside time everyday for training...but how much time is the true question. If you can spare 10 to 15 minutes, you can work on some very specific technique. If you can spare 1 hour to 2 hours, then you can add stretching and conditioning along with technique.

When I was training alone I was also in the US Army, some I did conditioning and physical training as part of my work day, so I did not include that in my Karate training, where I focused only on technique. I tried to train every day, but ended up averaging probably 5 days a week, with 30 minutes per session.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that that practitioner is accountable of their own training, no matter whatever their circumstances might or might not be. In that, there are 24 hours in a day, and 7 days a week, therefore a MA student really have no reason to not train/practicing adequately. Time must be set aside in ones busy, as well as hectic, day/week to train for that noted improvement to start to be noticeable.

No training...no practicing...means no improvement, anytime soon whatsoever. Take ownership and accountability of ones own training and practicing!! Either be serious or not, but if not, then do something else other than the MA.

Oftentimes students will complain that they're not improving much or at all. After sitting down with that student to discuss that concern, it slowly, and painfully, becomes quite apparent that that students practicing is nearly at a standstill at home. They'll train at the dojo, and that's it, no practicing whatsoever away from the dojo. Effort is a two way street; do it or don't do it, no in between. That person you see everyday looking back at you in the mirror must take ownership and accountability of their own MA training; the fault or the blame belongs to the individual. I've no sympathy towards any of my Student Body if they're not taking ownership and accountability of their own MA training/practicing.

I guarantee that I'll have my share of students that didn't do any training/practicing during this pandemic's Stay-At-Home, and that'll be their fault when they come back to the dojo; I can tell whenever a student has or hasn't trained/practiced...to me, it's quite evident...sticks out like a sore thumb. Oh yeah, whenever I ask if they've trained/practiced at home, that student will say..."Yes", but I only ask because I already know, after watching them for a few minutes, that they haven't; it's difficult for students to be honest with themselves.

Imho!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, and one I've been thinking about in this time of quarantine.
Ordinarily I'm more pressed for time, so I go running a couple of times a week, road bike about once a week, stretch pretty regularly, and work in solo MA practice where I can.

Working remotely, I have somewhat more time, so I've been able to increase the "karate" portion of my exercise. to about 2-3 45 minute sessions per week, while keeping the other activities constant.

There is an upper limit, though, especially as you get older, for how much you can do, and allow for recovery time.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: realistic vs ideal training time Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Martial arts is just like any other skill and takes time to develop. When starting out everybody has either asked their instructor or wondered how long it would take to be able to do xyz or reach a level of ability. The answer of course is that it depends on the person and a whole lot of other variables.

A better question people ought to ask themselves is how much time can they actually afford to spend training including on their own when the school is not open or the instructor not available.

Unless one is a professional who trains or teaches for a living, the time one hopes to train or spend practising is very different than what is actually manageable without causing conflict in other parts of daily living.

Time management skills and dedication are probably the best qualities for a newcomer to have for martial arts. Especially for adult students whose time is spent on either education, work, family or all of those! What time is left for practising martial arts?

If you are in this situation what is the difference between the time you aim to spend doing martial arts and what is actually manageable and realistic?

This is really tough. As I've moved along in my professional career, I find more things have to take a back seat to the training time I'd like to have. Often, I find with my schedule rotating the way that it does that, at most, I might be able to get a few months of consecutive, consistent training in (by that, I mean two nights a week) before bouncing to a shift that totally excludes me from being able to go to class. On top of that, and I'm not proud to admit this, but it's true, is that fact that I just don't have a lot of motivation any more. When I have time off, I have either family obligations, or am taking time for myself for other hobbies that I enjoy, or am just taking a break and catching up on some shows I like to watch. That's mostly a me problem that I need to take care of, and I understand that.

I would like to test at least one more time, but the financial burden of doing that is pretty sufficient in order to just attain another rank to keep myself ahead of those who've recently purchased our school. Committing the training time to it isn't a concern, because I'll make myself do that. But the monetary aspect of it really has me torn.

Compound all of this with the recent pandemic, and the inability to meet in a class setting has also added to the issues.

So, it's tough right now. I'm hoping for a sense of normalcy to return sooner rather than later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: