Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, to reach 'master' rank in our association, teaching is a requirement, so it would be a lie if I didn't say that was factor, but only a small one.

I enjoy teaching martial arts more than pretty much any other vocation I could imagine. I hope to do it full time one day, but I'm starting small.

I love seeing the students progress, and seeing the lightbulb of discovery that goes off when they finally get something..

Call it corny, or overly sentimental, but I actually believe that by teaching martial arts I'm helping to make the world a better place, and I'm definitely helping to make the lives of my students better as well.

It's a place where everyone can succeed, as long as they are willing to try. I have my fair share of ultra-talented kids that pick it up right away, but the real reward is seeing the awkward, shy, and, frankly, sometimes socially ienpt kids develop a belief in themselves.

I once was one of those socially inept kids myself. The martial arts changed my life, and I am proud to be able to help foster that change in others.

I have taught one child that was very sick when he was young, and stopped talking altogether for two years, but is now a contributing member of my beginner's class.

I have taught another with severe attention problems, who grew up getting whatever he wanted whenever he wanted it. Noe he has moved to my advanced class and is learning to take responsibility for himself.

I only see these kids for 3 hours a week, and yet that time has had such an effect on them that I have parents thanking me for changing their lives.

It's not me that's doing it, though. It's the martial arts, and the kids themselves. It's a cliche, but all I do is show them the way...

Ok I digress. These are the reasons I teach though, and nothing will make me happier than seeing my own students doing the same one day.

SloMo
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to teach but teachers are way under paid in our society soooooo I love Martial Arts and teaching that makes me happy.

My own style!?!?!? I'm having a hard enough time with this one! In all seriousness, I don't think I could come up with enough for my own style. In TKD, when you really study it, there are so many facets that just are not studied. We brought back some very traditional elements that have added whole new areas for us to learn and teach.

Also, I figure hundreds of people have spent lifetimes developing the current styles. I think it's our duty to add to them and keep them fresh but I don't really feel like I am anywhere near good enough to tell somebody that I can develope something better. That's just my opinion.

JEM618
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ, Arnis, Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To improve my ability.
It’s one thing to know a technique and do it well. It’s entirely another to be able to break it down, demonstrate it, explain it, and walk students through it until they reach some proficiency at it.

Unknow II
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's just say my insrtuctor isn't very good and i want the kids to have a leader that will give them what they should have, good tecniques, morals, and someone they can turn to when they need help. I also want to change some things to change the gym because things are running oh so horribly.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be frustrating when this situation exists in your dojang. I feel your pain and fully understand your position. Sometimes all we can do is hold on to what we know is right and try to affect as much change as possible until it either all falls apart or starts to improve. Of course the other choice is to bail but that is not always practical nor the "right" thing to do.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

parkerlineage
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: American Kenpo - 12 years; Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu - Starting! (Dabbled in Wushu, Eagle Claw)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently an assistant instructor, and will be a head instructor in a year when I go off to college.

I instruct now because my instructor asked me to, and because I feel that I have an obligation to pass on my knowledge and experience to the kids, just like three other teen black belts did for me five years ago.

I will become a head instructor primarily because there isn't an AK school anywhere near the college I'm going to. I don't see myself as good enough to be a head instructor, but my instructor apparently does, and he told me I should start my own dojo. I will also do that because I feel that I have something to offer that could be really fun, and useful, for the college students to do.

Plus, it's always been a little dream of mine, and money is nice for college students, eh?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Unknow II
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it. Go for it. You'll do fine.

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeha good luck - currently a assistant instructor - and off to Uni this year - but sorted a TKD club out over there so im alright...
Just love watching other people develop through TKD and begin to enjoy it more and more... good feeling

kenpo_fighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Karate, Tracy's Kenpo, Aikido, Iaido, Grappling

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why you became a instructor. Reply with quote

Mink wrote:
For what reasons did you become a martial arts instructor.?

and are you still under the organization that you came from or did you found your own style?

for what reasons politic or non political did you decide to found your own style.?

as i've not yet been given the title sensei by my own sensei, i will be given that title in about a month when my own dojo opens up. sensei says "the day you open your doors, will be the day i promote you to sensei."

part of the reason i will be taking on this title is that my sensei has decided it is time for him to move on and move back to his hometown and open up a new dojo there. since, i've been his assistant instructor for the past 6 months, he's asked me to not to continue his school, but to open up my own school and help guide the next generation of warriors. a task i felt unworthy of, but will meet head on.

also, i'm an entrepeneur and sales professional. i do sales and love it! i do martial arts and absolutely love that, too. and just like everybody else, i need to make a living. so, what better way to make a living than by combining my professional and personal passions by selling the martial arts! i've always wanted to own my business and opening up my own school will be the way.

i will be another school of the organization i come from. i'm no master, therefore, don't feel all high and mighty to be starting my own style. besides, if the styles i studied didn't work, they wouldn't still be around after so many years. so, why try and "re-invent" the wheel? if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

and the main motivation for becoming a sensei is payback. i started training in karate when i was 8yrs. old. from studying the martial arts, i've learned discipline, dedication, loyalty, teamwork, leadership, integrity, humility, & above all, a sense of honor. basically the principles of bushido, the way of the warrior. all these attributes have helped shaped me into the man i am today. not to mention, my art has gotten me out of a couple sticky situations. now, a man of 26, though i don't feel the sun setting on my time, i do feel it is time for me to give back to the arts that have given me so much, especially while i'm still able to do it. therefore, i will pass on the time honored traditions that my sensei's passed down to me once upon a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: