Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Recommended Bag for Training? Reply with quote

We will be buying a house, soon. I'm really hoping to have space to train, and I'd like to get a bag to beat on. My wife is also interested in doing the same. There are a lot of choices out there, for sure. We are both want something to punch and to kick. I'm considerably larger and hit harder than she does.

Any recommendations as far as brands, size or style?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging bag - Outslayer 6ft Muay Thai bag
Freestanding - Century BOB XL

Or both

Hanging bags are better than freestanding. Freestanding are for when you can’t hang a bag or need to move it a lot, such as in a dojo where you’d line them up against a wall and roll them out when necessary IMO.

I own a Century BOB XL. I love the realistic target practice it gives me. There’s things on it that I just can’t do on any standard heavy bag such as uppercuts, certain open hand strikes, etc. I mean, I CAN do them, but there’s no comparison.

The reason I say a 6ft Muay Thai bag is because you can practice low kicks and face height punches in combination seamlessly on a 6ft bag, whereas a standard bag is too short.

Outslayer is expensive compared to sporting goods store bags. But they’re easily worth every penny if you actually use the thing consistently. And buy it filled. There’s absolutely no point in filling it yourself, as they’ll do a far better job.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had standing bags and hanging bags, and if you have the room for it, I'd go with a hanging bag. If you can find a good place to hang a bag, with plenty of room to work, then you have the option to get different bags for different kinds of work, whereas with a standing bag, I don't think you have as many options without getting another stand with it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal preference, I suppose. I more prefer hanging bags because I've, as of yet, not found a standing bag that provides me what I'm needing; standing bags are akin to a Bozo the Clown bounce-back, that, as a kid, you could punch it or whatever else, and Bozo would go backwards, and then forwards.

My favorite hanging bag is a 500lb beast of a bag; provides me a lot of what I'm needing. I'm more of a to-each-his/her-own type of MAist.

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a Thai bag for for the length of it so you can practice low kicks as well. As for brands, I would suggest something from Title Boxing, Ringside, Combat Sports, Outslayer, Ring To Cage, or MMA Gear. I would also suggest at a minimum 100 lbs as an all around bag. If you decided to go for a double end bag or a speed bag, any brand would work.

If you really want to be fancy, you can get a water bag in either Thai or regular size. They come in various weight depending how much water you want to put in it. They tend to be a little pricey, but worth the investment.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I'll have some time to think about this and shop around, as we are only starting to look for houses.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking of a Thai hanging bag OR a BOB XL (we have a BOB XL at my dojang, and it can be fun to beat on!)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Outslayer. The length is great as my 6 year old can use it. Be warned. It is very hard. Gloves are necessary for some people.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
I have an Outslayer. The length is great as my 6 year old can use it. Be warned. It is very hard. Gloves are necessary for some people.

I know a lot of people here don’t use gloves, but I don’t hit anything without them. My hands get scraped up, my knuckles swell up, etc. “Hand conditioning” isn’t too high on my priority list.

And if someone has no or minimal experience hitting a bag, they should absolutely wear gloves.

I wear Tltle World Gel Bag gloves. They’re expensive at $100, but they’re worth every penny. I’ve had hand issues with everything else I’ve used (not that I’ve used tons of different ones). They’re well made, adequately padded so I can hit as hard as I want to without holding back, and they’re heavy so I get a pretty good arm workout too.

https://www.titleboxing.com/title-gel-world-bag-gloves

They’re currently $120 on Title’s website. They were $99 a few months ago when I bought them. Look for discount codes, shop around, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: