Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your interested in a JKD approach to trapping and clinch work, look up Paul Vunak on youtube.

Regards

SifuGazz
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyichuan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one should always be trapping. For me trapping range begins when I can touch their hand as extended in fighting position, but they cannot land a punch without stepping in. Tactically this is the best ranges to engage, it allows you to control the situation, move in, trap, and take them out.

Do yourself a favor and learn some tai chi push hands or bagua rou-shou, WC / JKD trapping is good, but has some mechanical failings and other gaps to be filled.

G

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SifuGazz wrote:
I think one should always be trapping. For me trapping range begins when I can touch their hand as extended in fighting position, but they cannot land a punch without stepping in. Tactically this is the best ranges to engage, it allows you to control the situation, move in, trap, and take them out.

Do yourself a favor and learn some tai chi push hands or bagua rou-shou, WC / JKD trapping is good, but has some mechanical failings and other gaps to be filled.

G

Solid post!!

Wooden dummy training...can't live without it, imho.

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice makes perfect

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapping seems to be the jkd and wing chun way of dealing with clinching range, judging from what you discuss here. It makes sense considering the emphasis on defeating larger attackers in these arts. clinching with someone much larger and stronger than you can end badly.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guird wrote:
trapping seems to be the jkd and wing chun way of dealing with clinching range, judging from what you discuss here. It makes sense considering the emphasis on defeating larger attackers in these arts. clinching with someone much larger and stronger than you can end badly.

Solid post!!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapping is a fun, and useful tool. However, there is a tendency to "over-trap". In other words, if trained improperly, people can start to trap for trapping sake rather than elicit it's primary purpose:

to open a path to a soft target.

That's the core of what has become an over mystified element. It's simply a way to get an attack to it's intended target. Now what you really have to look at is how are you utilizing trapping training against certain types of attacks. Trapping fluid strikes that give minimal reference points (ie. boxing instead of karate) is really different than trapping someone who rigidly presents a blocking appendage or coverage.

This does not mean it does not work, but work must be done functionally to adapt it. And this work must be pressure tested.

Please note, this is not my original thoughts, but the work of people much better than myself that I've had the opportunity to spend JKD time with. I'm just not that smart.

Lastly, remember that even in classical JKD (and certainly in the concept/ training methods circles to an even greater degree) that the trapping element is a single tool in the arsenal for attacking. In fact, it's often regarded as the most difficult and highest technical aspect of attacking an opponent. Considered an "Attack by Hand/ Foot Immobilization (HIA or FIA)" it's at the highest spot on the hierarchy of such things on a lot of teaching models.

It's not the primary way of creating such things, but an option for the student who has the advanced level of reading body posture and movement AND developed the physical attributes for working them.

So, while a good tool and one I wholeheartedly agree needs to be addressed. It's not the only or even primary mode of presenting attack. The key is in building the proper foundation and then properly addressing the training methods for the tool to use it across a wide range of styles.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Trapping is a fun, and useful tool. However, there is a tendency to "over-trap". In other words, if trained improperly, people can start to trap for trapping sake rather than elicit it's primary purpose:

to open a path to a soft target.

That's the core of what has become an over mystified element. It's simply a way to get an attack to it's intended target. Now what you really have to look at is how are you utilizing trapping training against certain types of attacks. Trapping fluid strikes that give minimal reference points (ie. boxing instead of karate) is really different than trapping someone who rigidly presents a blocking appendage or coverage.

This does not mean it does not work, but work must be done functionally to adapt it. And this work must be pressure tested.

Please note, this is not my original thoughts, but the work of people much better than myself that I've had the opportunity to spend JKD time with. I'm just not that smart.

Lastly, remember that even in classical JKD (and certainly in the concept/ training methods circles to an even greater degree) that the trapping element is a single tool in the arsenal for attacking. In fact, it's often regarded as the most difficult and highest technical aspect of attacking an opponent. Considered an "Attack by Hand/ Foot Immobilization (HIA or FIA)" it's at the highest spot on the hierarchy of such things on a lot of teaching models.

It's not the primary way of creating such things, but an option for the student who has the advanced level of reading body posture and movement AND developed the physical attributes for working them.

So, while a good tool and one I wholeheartedly agree needs to be addressed. It's not the only or even primary mode of presenting attack. The key is in building the proper foundation and then properly addressing the training methods for the tool to use it across a wide range of styles.

Solid post!!

To trap just to trap is unnecessary across the board. Knowing how to is tantamount. Our brand of Tuite utilizes an enormous amount of trapping, and I do it without thought, but only when it's necessary, not before.

It's all about, imho, effective applied knowledge!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very good points. Combat Hapkido has some trapping methods that are applied, but the head of the organization, GM Pelligrini, makes it clear that we inlcude just enough to use as a useful tool, and not "overtrapping," like Alex mentions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: