Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Donnie Yen? I liked him in Ip Man and other movies I have seen him in. He has serious cred on both sides of the Pacific, and has done a wide variety of films.

Portraying a major figure, and it being well received, is well within his wheelhouse. He would essentially be attempting to be Bruce Lee.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
How about Donnie Yen? I liked him in Ip Man and other movies I have seen him in. He has serious cred on both sides of the Pacific, and has done a wide variety of films.

Portraying a major figure, and it being well received, is well within his wheelhouse. He would essentially be attempting to be Bruce Lee.

Donnie Yen is, along with Jet Li one of the "powerhouse" MA stars of the last 20 years and would probably do a great job, if you enjoyed Ip Man, there are several other very, very good movies of his that I would highly recommend, as long as you can handle sub titles..
I think the role of Bruce Lee in this movie would be a perfect vehicle for some "unknown" MA actor to get launched into the mainstream. Donnie is getting a bit older now, and this one probably needs some one under 35.......

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve watched it several times, and (quick duck and cover!) I just don’t get the pedestal it’s been put on. There’s no denying Bruce Lee’s skill, but beyond watching Lee’s display of skill, it doesn’t do anything for me.

More heresy...

I’m not an MA movie fan. The story lines are typically bad, the acting worse, and I quite often find the fighting too unrealistic.

With all of that being said, I don’t see any problem with remaking this movie nor ANY movie. If the do it and it’s awful, the original is still there and unaffected. If it’s mediocre, again, the original is still around. And if it’s great, is we’ve got another great movie on our hands. The only potential losers in it are the people who made the movie.

If they’re serious about redoing it, I say don’t bother trying to find the next Bruce Lee. If the star is someone who hears no resemblance physically, ethnically, etc., then the movie can stand on its own. If they’re trying to find a stand-in, he and the movie are pretty much guaranteed to fall on their faces. There are movies that the star is so ingrained in that role that no one could ever replace him - Schwarzenegger as The Terminator, Stallone as Rocky or Rambo, Pacino as Tony Montana, DeNiro as Jimmy Conway, etc. They can do all the sequels they want, but if someone else came in, forget about it.

Anyone else remember the remake of The Shining? Yeah, no one could ever play Jack Torrance like Nicholson. Remember the Psycho remake? They failed because because they were attempted copies of truly iconic movies and roles. Instead of a remake, they should do more of a movie inspired by Enter The Dragon or a kind of modern sequel, continuation, whatever.

Just my opinions.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:

Donnie Yen is, along with Jet Li one of the "powerhouse" MA stars of the last 20 years and would probably do a great job, if you enjoyed Ip Man, there are several other very, very good movies of his that I would highly recommend, as long as you can handle sub titles..
I think the role of Bruce Lee in this movie would be a perfect vehicle for some "unknown" MA actor to get launched into the mainstream. Donnie is getting a bit older now, and this one probably needs some one under 35.......

Yen's age was my biggest concern. But, Idris Alba's name keeps hitting the rumor mill for James Bond. I wonder if he is just starting to get a little old for a 3-5+ movie deal over the next decade or so. Make-up and CGI can hide a lot of years.
I handle sub-titles well, when I am distraction free. There was another one where he was a paper maker in a village and a detective was on the trail of a killer. I cannot remember the name.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
Some movies are not meant to be remade (The Magnificent Seven being a good example--decent remake but no match for the original).

Of course, The Magnificent Seven was itself a remake of Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic, Seven Samurai.

Wamp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ashihara Karate, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please no!

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those interested can read about the legal wranglings here: https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/the-legal-battle-over-seven-samurai-and-the-magnificent-seven/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a huge fan of the original Hawaii Five-O tv series, which aired from 1968 - 1980, starring Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett. However, the remake, which ran from 2010 - 2020, have never sat to well with me for one reason or another. Some remakes make sense, while others make no sense at all.

For me, remaking Enter The Dragon is a remake that shouldn't be made because no matter who plays any of the roles, they'll do no justice at all. All in all, that's not for me to say one way or another as to if a remake of ETD should be made of not.

Should a remake ever see the light of day, I MIGHT go watch it out of curiosity sake alone.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar is way too high! None of the original actors has anyone that could take their roles today. Remaking the original scenario and script is always possible and nerved hard to achieve. It will probably be better simply because techniques and technology has improved a lot since the 70s. Unfortunately, despite all the improvements and advancements in film production, a production is always dependent on the actors. There are a lot of remakes that are successful, it it’s almost always due the actors.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The bar is way too high! None of the original actors has anyone that could take their roles today. Remaking the original scenario and script is always possible and nerved hard to achieve. It will probably be better simply because techniques and technology has improved a lot since the 70s. Unfortunately, despite all the improvements and advancements in film production, a production is always dependent on the actors. There are a lot of remakes that are successful, it it’s almost always due the actors.

They would probably destroy it completely by filling it with 21st century social commentary and "feel good" nonsense anyway. There are very few worthy remakes of anything theses days........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: