Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
They would probably destroy it completely by filling it with 21st century social commentary and "feel good" nonsense anyway. There are very few worthy remakes of anything theses days........

Agree 100%. I can think of few remakes that contribute much of anything new beyond the original. The motivation of the studios seems to be simply to ‘cash in’ by remaking and ‘modernizing’ popular and well-regarded classics, rather than coming up with new, creative concepts of their own.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Netflix had Enter the Dragon on it, and I watched it the other night. While watching, I wondered, who would they recast as each character? Ten or fifteen years ago, I would have had some ideas; Wesley Snipes as Williams, for instance. But today, I have no idea. Maybe Jason Statham could play the Roper character well?

Also, watching the movie, if they re-made it, I think they'd spend more time developing the relationship between the three protagonists. Lee and Roper develop what I would refer to as a little bit of a rapport, but not much more than that in the original. That there was a relationship already established between Roper and Williams was obvious, and appeared to by a strong one, but you don't get any inclination as to why, other than their time in the military together. And there was basically no development at all between Lee and Williams. I think a remake would rectify this somehow.

Also, watching the movie, I couldn't help but think of the parallels between another movie I've seen, and thought, "huh, they already did remake Enter the Dragon, and they called it Mortal Kombat." Just hear me out:

In both movies, there are three main protagonists, they get invited to a Martial Arts tournament on a "mysterious island" (ok, different dimension, I guess), which is ruled by a self-sufficient individual with ulterior motives. Lots of parallels between the two, when you think about it....

Ok, all done with that. Don't beat me up too much for it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I like your choses of who could play whom. Maybe The Rock as Bolo. I do agree with your views on the story line being more between the protagonists. However, not to much because after all, what's a MA movie without much MA?!?

Mortal Kombat. huh?? I can see that, I just pray that I don't ever see it for real. Wait, wait, wait, ETD had Lee jump up into a tree from the ground...both movies had fantasy elements.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the parallels are loose, but I just wanted to point them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: