Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
In sport karate/kickboxing. I have seen them having tons of belts. This is what I remember:

1.White
2.Yellow
3.High yellow
4.Orange
5.High orange
6.Green
7.High green
8.Blue
9.High blue
10.Brown
11.High brown
12.Low black
13.Black belt

These dojos are not bad in terms of technique but they do love to get that paper. As I get older, I am oddly becoming more alright with it because I know how tough it is to make a living. As long as they are learning proper technique then it wont bother me if they have some cash money marketing tactics.

When I was a kid I saw being a white belt as something embarrassing. Not every martial artist has the right mindset for martial arts, especially kids, and some orange or green belts would indeed look down on white belts I felt like I had to get out of white belt as soon as I could, and even yellow belt too. It wasn't until orange belt (following a white-yellow-orange sequence) when I could feel comfortable with my rank and therefore enjoy my dojo experience.

I can see how in a western setting people (especially kids) would not want to be a white belt until they reach the equivalent to green or brown belt.

It really takes a mature person with the right mindset for marital arts to realize it's ok to be a white belt and that if you choose to get into this journey you will be a "lowly" white belt for so many years, you may have the equivalent knowledge to a green belt but in everybody's eyes, you're just as good or knowledgeable as a dude who has been doing karate for a month.

Ironically, having such a mature mindset and clarity comes with... being a martial artist for a while, so it's a bit of a dillema

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good points. I think it's incumbent upon the instructor to make sure students understand that it is a learning process, and to not worry about what others in the world may think. It's also incumbent upon the instructor to make sure that the white belts feel comfortable in the classes, impressing upon the intermediate and higher ranks the importance of treating the white belts in such a way.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stated this belief many times here, and that is, of all of the ranks there might be, white belt is the most important belt because without it, no other rank is possible whatsoever.

Imho.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The old adage, "a black belt is a white belt that never quit" rings true. Without the beginning, there is no journey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: