Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this San Soo stuff is getting more brutal everytime i hear about it. jumping on the others head or kicking him when he is on the ground can probably be done by any Joe Thug from the streets, cant it?

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's more like stomping the head or sternum, than kicking it. Sure it can be done by Joe Thug, but hopefully you're not the one on the ground being stomped. It is a brutal style, it was designed for hand to hand combat. When in Combat the aim is to move forward and incapacitate anyone in your way as fast as possible. That's why this stuff can't be a sport. Your aim is not to win it's to maim your attackers. You fight how you train, if you train for sport generally you will fight that way. If you train for Combat generally you will fight that way.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

whynot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qualms with "lethal" moves in martial arts, is that I honestly do not think they are practical, other than in true combat (like war). Now, before I get blasted by everyone for saying that, allow me to state my reasons, and give a disclaimer. I have not ever been in a life or death fight, nor do I know anyone that has. Perhaps this is due to my living in a smaller, quiet community, but I really believe most fights outside of the dojo are not true life or death fights. This being true, breaking arms, wrists, knees, elbow, kicking people's head in, or gouging their eyes out is overkill, in my opinion. One can beat down another person without disabling them for life or killing them. If truly the fight is a matter of life or death, then by all means, do what you must, but if not, then there is no reason to pull out all the stops. Not only may a person end up crippled with a bad knee for the rest of their life, but performing lethal moves is a good way to end up in prison. Kicking and punching may or may not end up in assault charges, depending on the circumstances, but poking in a person's eye and breaking their arm at the elbow will almost certainly land you in prison if the fight were just an ordinary brawl.

Now for my disclaimer. I respect all martial arts, for different reasons, and I respect all practitioners of martial arts period. I am not knocking San Soo, or any other martial art here. What I am stating is that I do not think that lethal martial arts are always the best for fighting. They do, however have their place, and definitely have their worth. It is just my belief that they are not always necessary.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armbars work. If they are dumb enough to pick a fight, then you should be smart enough to end it. For example, put them in an armbar, then kick them in the face, then trip them onto their back.
Choking works well

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great point WHY NOT that's why earlier on this thread I said that San Soo is too brutal. It's good to have options on how hard you go in a given situation.

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the use of San Soo does not automatically end up bringing ur opponent to hospital, does it?

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe with a groin injury or a broken nose. I'm sure one could just go a little softer with it.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the style is all about being brutal then isn't it technically not complete?
after all, "kill the opponent" is not the answer to all situations.
there are times when all you need to do is control the attacker.

sounds to me like a case of teaching you how to run before you can walk.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not always kill, but hurt them pretty fricken bad. Your right in that respect it is incomplete, but it was designed for a specific purpose Combat. I study Budo Taijutsu which is probably one of the most complete fighting arts out there. But I agree being able to control someone is very important. I wouldn't advise that Police or Bouncers study San Soo but I do highly recommend Budo Taijutsu.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yeah i do understand and appreciate the environment in which it was designed to be used.

but then doesn't that kinda question it's appropriateness for the real world?

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: