Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Sat on testing panel this week. Reply with quote

With my instructor having to miss this testing due to the death of his friend, I was honored with being the head instructor at the testing table this last week. A 3rd dan from the school also sat on the testing panel with me.

Other than the chief instructor, we are the active instructors amongst the black belts in our school. He is more involved with the Little Lions classes we have, whereas I teach either a mixed class, or a kids class most of the time. This was his first time sitting on a testing panel.

First off, we had the Little Lions testing, starting at 5:10 pm and going through about 6:00 pm. Since he has more experience with teaching these guys, he took the lead, and he had me chime in and take one of the drills, as well. The little guys were fun, and they all had great enthusiasm.

After the Little Lions testing, we had the regular Promotional Testing from 6:30 - 8:00 pm. We mostly had younger kids testing, and a handful of teenager/adults testing. We had some good forms put on display, and one not so good. One that I really probably wouldn't have allowed to test, but that wasn't my call to make. However, I did make the call on the testing score sheet, so we shall see where that goes.

All in all, a rather small summer testing, which tends to happen to our school anyways. It was fun, and I enjoy sitting on the testing panels. Afterwards, I discussed the importance of basics with the testers, and why we harp on them so much in class. The other instructor and I discussed testing a bit, and we seem to agree on most things. He has some different views on some things than I do, but for the most part, we agreed on most things.

Up next will be the results from the TTA tournament held this weekend.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are always cool deals. I always like setting on testing boards.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy it, and have had more opportunites to do so since becoming a 4th dan, and since our last high ranking student had to leave the school. Before that, I was always calling the testing on the floor. I haven't been the lead judge on a panel for quite some time. It was a nice experience.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it surely would have been a good experience to be the lead on this.

At my dojo we don't have a table where instructors and our CI sit. We all are moving around the dojo with one person up front telling the students grading what to do. So that way we all can see what each student is doing and can critique them even harder.

Not only that but we just don't have the space currently to be able to do it. One day when we can afford to buy a larger space and enough instructors available to do it we will have a table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: