Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, FMA, MMA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Scary instructor Reply with quote

Why are some instructors so scary/angry? Is it part of the karate curriculum to become more or less demonic when instructing? This guy's got one of the meanest stares I've ever seen, that and the comments, shouting etc. can sometimes make me feel like absolute sh*t...I don't need false compliments, but I don't want to be treated like a lesser human being either. What is the purpose of this behavior from some instructors? And how do people cope with it?

WhiteShark
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shidokan, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "cope" with it by finding a new instructor! There is no reason to take that kind of crap from somebody, when there are plenty of very talented instructors who aren't A$$holes.

If you still want an "answer" the old karate instructors in Japan who first taught martial arts to forigners treated students this way becasue the Japanes believed themselves to be a seperate superior race. People like Kano (founder of Judo) and other enlightened teachers slowly changed this perspective in the 20th century. So it's likely that your instructor was taught by an old school Japanese guy. Or, he's just a Jerk!

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be that they are trying to help you learn to develop your technique in a stressful situation. the day you need reverse punch, you will not have a happy person encouraging you when you do it right.

i'm not saying it's appropriate all the time, but it is a good reality check once in awhile.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, FMA, MMA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the instructor in question is japanese, so I guess I've been misinformed about their "niceness"...

Don't know if he is trying to toughen me up, but he's been going harder at me than the others right from the start. I try to overlook it and not letting it get to me, but sometimes it is hard, esp. since I don't understand his motivation..

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started at my karate club I felt the same way about my instructor. He was intimidation personified.

In fact, my friend and I were so scared that for the first month or so we refused to go to the adult class that we were supposed to attend, and chose to go to a kids class that was run by the "nice" instructor.

Even at that, the first week we decided to go to the adults class, the scary instructor just walked in the door and my friend and I were so freaked out that we almost left.

Over time I got accustomed to him, though, and now I think he totally rocks!

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are in an enviroment of verbal abuse and intimidation which is not good. It's Ok to be stern and forceful with commands and corrections but when it's constant and directed mostly at you is when its a problem. This can create a place where you are supose to learn and grow into a place of fear. One should never be afraid or intimidated from asking questions. How else are you supposed to learn? Is he like this when you have regular conversations with him or only during class? Do you think he is singling you out or does it just seem that way? Our Hanshi tells us that we can talk to him about anything, karate related are not. We are in a family that should help each other, not instill fear. IMHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to you is to ask him. Catch him before or right after class and ask if there's a reason for it. He'll either tell you or tell you to get out if you don't like it. Either way the problem is solved. There's no reason to go on putting up with it if you don't like it. He's not going to physically do anything to you for asking. If you're afraid to ask then perhaps you're in the wrong place.

sano
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: shidokan karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he's doing it only to you than he see potential in you and wants to do whatever it take to make you the next big think. i know one of my instructors use to do that and he told me the same thing.

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if I would classify my instructor as scary or demonic when instructing but he definitely gives his fair share of angry stares, shouts, and he is very good at making someone feel like sh*t.

The reasons, as he explains it, are simple. He believes that shouting and harsh instruction motivates learning. He doesn’t think that people are able to realize the need for change unless you startle them and force them to recognize that what they are doing is wrong. He also believes that a student must first feel like he knows nothing before he is ready to learn. In short, he is a big believer in negative reinforcement. Coincidently he spent over 20 years in the military.

People have told him that he is an a$$hole. He is not welcome in several dojo’s. Most (99%) women refuse to train under him. However, here in Boise, Idaho I honestly believe he is the best martial artist in the state, hands down. He is probably one of the best weapons practitioners in the world. When a weapon is in his hands he moves with such power and precision you would think he was born with it attached to him. He is phenomenal, but his attitude is such that he has only about 5 active students. But if you’re lucky and determined enough to be one of those 5, I honestly believe you are getting some of the best instruction in the world. Only problem is you basically have to hate yourself to put up with it.

Personally I agree with what everyone said. People shouldn’t have to put up with this kind of treatment. And they don't. But I have stuck with my instructor for a little over 6 years now and I would not be half the martial artist I am today were it not for him. I guess a nice personality and great skill don't always go hand and hand. But I don't go to his class to learn how to be a good person, or because I like his personality. I go to his class because I refuse to learn martial arts from anyone but the best I can find.

-Paul Holsinger

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: scary Reply with quote

WhiteShark wrote:
I "cope" with it by finding a new instructor! There is no reason to take that kind of crap from somebody, when there are plenty of very talented instructors who aren't A$$holes.

If you still want an "answer" the old karate instructors in Japan who first taught martial arts to forigners treated students this way becasue the Japanes believed themselves to be a seperate superior race. People like Kano (founder of Judo) and other enlightened teachers slowly changed this perspective in the 20th century. So it's likely that your instructor was taught by an old school Japanese guy. Or, he's just a Jerk!
I have to admit that white shak is right even in the movie when there is a master an a student the master always teached the hard way.I belived in learning in a friendly environement as long as you remain mature and grow with in the art.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: