Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Seishin review Reply with quote

SEISHIN GI’s
Short review: Okinawa edition
- function 5/5
- durability 5/5
- feel 5/5
- sizing 5/5
- price 2/5
Overall: can’t recommend it enough. If you can afford it, I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed. The only downfall is the price, as it’s just too expensive.

Full review:
So I have both the original seishin gi, and the Okinawa edition. To my knowledge, the Okinawa edition is just more breathable, considering the weather in Okinawa. And I WAY prefer it over the original seishin gi.

The Okinawa edition doesn’t wrinkle nearly as much. It sounds just as snappy, and it’s a lighter weight, or at least feels lighter. I wore them both during my trip to Okinawa, and quickly found my preference (Okinawa edition). In short, EVERYTHING about the Okinawa gi was better for me. It’s even good for practicing grabs, as it’s not so light where I feel like it could rip.

For both gi’s, the sizing is absolutely perfect. I’m approximately 5’10, average build, and went with the 175 size for both gis. It looks like I had it tailored. The sleeves are short enough that I can easily practice wrist grabs, but not so short that it looks weird. And the pants are the same - they’re above my ankles and don’t effect deep stances or high kicks.

The sizing, quite literally, is perfect. And the jacket is big enough to where if I gained some weight, I can’t imagine I’d have to buy a bigger size.

SEISHIN BLACK BELT (cotton)
Short review: 3/5
- feel 5/5
- durability (toon soon to tell, but I can’t imagine a negative review)
- price 1/5 (no belt should be this expensive)

Overall:
other than the brand name, I can’t think of a reason to justify the price. It’s about $100 before shipping costs (no embroidery). It feels like my other black belts (KI and Shureido). It arrived pretty stiff and loosened up fairly quickly, but I sweat a lot during training. Unless you just really admire Jesse and want to buy his stuff, I think you’re better off getting Ki or Shureido. Especially if you’re using an embroidery service.

It’s a fine belt. Just too expensive.

The gis are fantastic, but the Okinawa edition in particularly is perfect (for me) in every way.

I hope some finds this helpful!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reviews, scohen! Thanks for taking the time to do them.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Seishin owned by Jesse of Karate Nerd? I just can't justify paying the price when there are cheaper brands with comparable, if not better, quality.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
Isn't Seishin owned by Jesse of Karate Nerd? I just can't justify paying the price when there are cheaper brands with comparable, if not better, quality.

Yes, I believe so.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really helpful review. Would be great if you are able to update in a few months on durability etc (obviously if you have the time!). I've always found it useful to see a review of the new product and one a few months down the line since these are relatively long term purchases

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Penguin,

I’ve had the uniforms for around 6 months now. I alternate between them throughout the week, and I teach 5 days a week, where I’m very active and do a lot of demonstrations. Half the time in the adult class, I just do class with my students. Lots of kata, lots of grabs and throws, sweating, etc… I’m definitely putting this stuff to work.

The gis have held up very well! The black gis definitely look a little more “worn” but I don’t think it’s in a negative way at all. Little to NO signs of shrinkage. Still fit perfectly. White gis have maintained their color as well.

I haven’t worn the black belt in awhile, but that’s because I simply prefer the one I got from KI International. No other reason than that!

The quality of Seishin really is top tier. I still can’t get behind the price for everything - it’s ridiculously high, and that’s exactly why I won’t be purchasing from Seishin again unless Jesse can reasonably drop the prices lol.

Do I think Seishin should be more expensive than other options? Yes, I really do. The quality of everything speaks for itself. However, I just don’t think it should be AS expensive as it is. I think his sales would skyrocket if he could just drop the prices a little.

I hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: