Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bad_Vibes
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_2k3 wrote:
To be honest if I was attacked in the street, for example on the way home after a night out, i wouldnt think about the law, i'd defend myself and do more than enough to make sure I could get away safely. I mean under the stress and adrenalin of a real attack, i think politics and the law would be the last thing on ur mind (unless ur an experienced fighter).

I notice you are from the UK. I spent 2 weeks there training with a military unit near Blackpool for a patrolling competition. The three nights we went out there were the most street fights I have ever seen in my life. Man do Brits love the head butt. I would think you have seen your fair share of altercations. I learned real quick to never get in a stare down face to face, cause that forehead would be headed straight to your nose in an instant. Good times I tell ya.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
All I can speak for is what the law regarding self-defense states in my state.

45-3-102. Use of force in defense of person. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, he is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

I believe most states are similar to this.

Yes, This subject was bought up in our Self Defense Class 20 years ago.
We had bought in a lawyer to speak upon the matter.
On rotation in our SD class, we always bought in other professionals:
Lawyers, Policemen, Doctors, Pyschologists, and other Martial Art instructors from other style/schools.

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm attacked, and a hand touches me ever so lightly, that hand and surrounding limbs are then forfeit. Worry about the law after you're safe...

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what that hand is trying to do. A skilled martial artists will respond with the right amount of force per the situation.

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless sparring, each movement should be made with full commitment. If a person means me harm, I harm the person. If my life can be in danger at any moment, I will be sure that the threat has ended in it's totality.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you said:
JeetKuneDo wrote:
If I'm attacked, and a hand touches me ever so lightly, that hand and surrounding limbs are then forfeit. Worry about the law after you're safe...

"a hand that touches me (you) so slightly".........

All I am saying that the defense has a degree of force per whatever the attack. Esp in a US court of law. For, instance, you would not want to do a arm break, that results in a servere physical disorder for the opponeent, just because he went to slightly push you. Or better yet, if you have a fight with someone in a restaurant, etc., and the manager askes you to leave, and you don'y acknoweldge or have not heard what he said. So he places a hand on you to get your attention. Or a police officer trying to break you up in fight, that he may have to lay a hand on you (not in a attacking way)

I totally agree:
Unless sparring, each movement should be made with full commitment. If a person means me harm, I harm the person. If my life can be in danger at any moment, I will be sure that the threat has ended in it's totality.

But if it is a relative or dear friend, I should have enough skills to render his attack without serverely harming them.

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points...I guess I was thinking about things in a more threatening situation.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKD,
Per If I'm attacked, and a hand touches me ever so lightly, that hand and surrounding limbs are then forfeit. Worry about the law after you're safe...

Yes, this is where different levels of communication, via writing context and conveyance, can cause hardships.

BTW, anyone that cross trains, actually are training the "philosophy" of JKD (not you-per name), I mean the system. (not style because it really isnt)

Hmmnnn

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

self defense law #1 protect yourself at all times

x-women
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: keichu-do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Self defence Reply with quote

I know of a situation that happend at a school here in CALF.Two sudents got in to a fight and one student was killed when he was hit in the face and his head hit the curb!Now the surviving student is going to jail for 9 years for manslaughter.Now if I was defending myself against a man or women and in my defence I killed him or her,even if I was defending myself I know the court would throw the book at me especially if they knew I did M.A.I to would go to jail for manslaughter as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: