Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Self Defense Training Drills Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Here are some drills that I've been taught that simulate to some degree realistic self defense situations. I hope you find them useful. All credit to John Will for teaching them to me.

First, though, some definitions:

- Pre-fight stance: The stance you are in when a situation escalates to a potential fight and you are trying to sell the idea that you are not interested in fighting, to witnesses, to security cameras, as well as your (potential) attacker. If the sell is good, the attacker may disengage because he doesn't feel the need to fight you, the non threatening pacifist, or the attacker may escalate because they believe you are easy meat and so neglect to use any defenses they might know (which might be none, anyway). You have your hands slightly out in front of you - just enough to maintain some personal space - and keep the palms angled down, as palms up suggests you are preparing to defend against something. As for your feet - strong side can be slightly back, but it doesn't matter too much and they should be roughly hip to shoulder width apart. A pre-fight stance should be so lacking in aggression that you could use it on your mother.

- Engaging question: This serves a dual purpose: One, you engage your attacker's mind in coming up with a response to your question, taking his mind off of hitting you or defending against a potential attack of yours. Two, you are telling yourself that the fight is on, releasing yourself from the inhibitions that would normally prevent you from fighting another person. Think of it as like the bell in a boxing match. While asking the question, you should keep your strong side back in preparation to fire your first shot, but at the same time, keep selling the idea that you are harmless and don't want to fight, so you aren't bending your knees or taking as long and wide a stance as your fighting stance. You can make the sell better by shrugging your shoulders and holding your hands out in the classic "I don't know!" pose. As for the actual question, something like "Can't we work this out?" is a good example, as it sounds passive; more contrived examples may make you sound as if you were prepared to fight all along.

- Adrenal dump: A sudden adrenaline rush, to such an extent that a fight or flight response is triggered.

- Verbal de-escalation: Basically, trying to calm your attacker down and talk them out of it, e.g.: "It's alright mate, I'll buy you a beer, OK?" Obviously, you would adjust your vernacular appropriately to your location.

- Verbal fence: Like verbal de-escalation, you are trying to talk your attacker out of it, but in this case, you are trying to sell the opposite concept - that you do, in fact, pose a threat and they would be wise to disengage. You are looking to induce adrenal dump in your attacker, but be sure that you do this when they have an easy escape route; otherwise, if you have them cornered, you are virtually ensuring a fight.

And now the drills:

- Partner stands a few meters away holding a kick shield to cover their torso and aggressively advances on you. When you see them coming, you move into pre-fight stance. When they move within range, front kick them, jump back well out of range and use a verbal fence - pointing and shouting at them to back off, looking as psycho as possible - to cause adrenal dump and allow them to disengage.

- Partner starts at close range, wearing Thai pads on each forearm and advances on you, speaking aggressively, using "fightin' words". In some schools where this might violate their philosophy or gravely offend many of the students, you can count down "5, 4, 3, 2 1!" in an aggressive manner. You maintain a fence with your pre-fight stance and back away, attempting verbal de-escalation. If they persist, ask your engaging question and strike hard at one or more of the Thai pads. The strike can be anything, but we were given the guideline of using a right cross for relatively slowly advancing attackers and a right elbow for quickly advancing attackers.

- Partner is mounted on top of you, wearing boxing gloves (or MMA gloves, whatever) and lightly striking your defense (enough to feel it and enough to have to defend against it, but no harder), which is protecting your face. You "look at the problem" through the small gap in your defense and, after taking about half a dozen shots, plant your feet as close as possible to your butt and execute a BJJ bridge and roll to get yourself into the mount. If you're wearing boxing gloves, too, the drill can continue to cycle, though this does make grappling more difficult - of course, it's much easier with MMA gloves.

- Partner is wearing Thai pads on both forearms and a belly protector. They throw haymakers with either arm and raise the other Thai pad in position for you to jab, cross or hook. You weave under the haymaker and either come up to punch the other Thai pad or stay low and punch the belly protector.

- Partner is wearing no protective gear and throws a haymaker, less forcefully due to the lack of protection. You weave under, and close the distance as you do so, quickly enough to take your partner's back as the haymaker stops. Take them down by kicking the back of their knee and apply a reverse naked choke. BJJ stylists can get a more complete back control with hooks and roll until a better opportunity for the RNC is available.

I hope that you can get something out of it. Your feedback is welcome.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I think that those would be great classroom additions.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of your drills. However, on the mount drill, after performing an upa (bridge and roll) you will end up in the opponent's guard, not the mount. So I always use this opportunity to practice a guard pass and mount skill. Then, because I'm now mounted, the opponent gets to practice the drill.

Nice article! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: