Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Self-Protection; an interesting definition... Reply with quote

I was doing some reading recently, and I came across some interesting definitions of the terms self-protection and self-defense:

Self-Protection: a state of beining in which the practitioner beats the attacker to the punch.

Self-Defense: a reaction to an action.

What does everyone else think? Are these accurate descriptors? In a sense, I do think that the idea of "defending oneself" has come to be known as more of a reactionary response, mainly due to the "never strike first" principle taught in so many traditional martial arts styles.

I do like the definition of self-protection. However, I do think that if ideas begin to change, the definition of self-defense can come around to equal that of self-protection.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would slightly modify those definitions, I would call self-protection the taking of proactive measures to prevent a threatening situation developing, and self-defence the taking of reactive measures to make the best of a threatening situation. It's still self defence to throw the first shot if the fight is already on. Although, arguably, you know the fight is on based on the attacker's action (though pre-fight)...

Symphony-x
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Freestyle Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing; Used to do TKD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

self protection: be able to know when you are about to be attacked and being able to a) get away b) protect yourself with violence or other means

self defence: defending yourself against an attack

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony-x wrote:
self protection: be able to know when you are about to be attacked and being able to a) get away b) protect yourself with violence or other means

I agree more with this definition. I would define Self-protection is more situational awareness and conflict avoidance.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
Symphony-x wrote:

I agree more with this definition. I would define Self-protection is more situational awareness and conflict avoidance.

I see what you are saying, and I think it can fit under the definition that I listed earlier as well...just more elaborate. The main point I think is this: self-protection=proactive, self-defense=reactive.

I don't think this has to be a hard and fast rule, but it seems to be the perception in today's society.

Symphony-x
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Freestyle Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing; Used to do TKD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I don't think this has to be a hard and fast rule, but it seems to be the perception in today's society.

but i'd also say, society in a whole is quite niave

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

glockmeister
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Haganah, Krav Maga, JKD, Kickboxing,BJJ, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole idea of self protection is more than "beating someone to the punch" or the ability to fight off an attacker. Self protection for me, goes much further. Keeping a fire extinguisher in your home, learning to keep your car doors locked when driving, burglar proofing your house, keeping extra fuel in a container in the trunk, having a fire-escape plan, Having adequate supplies in case of loss of power emergency or natural disaster. And of course self defence training, weapons knowledge and training, etc.
Self protection, as mentioned to a point earlier covers many things. It doesn't do a person much good to be able to beat up a potential mugger only to have a burglar victimize him or her because they didn't think to invest in quality locks. Knowing how to execute a perect roundhouse kick doesn't help much if you aren't prepared in case your car runs out of gas late at night on a dark country road. Punches don't help you in a house fire. Yet all these things fall under self protection. I think sometimes people get entirely to wrapped up in "what they would do if a bad guy grabs them" and not enough on the more common things that can threaten their safety and wellness.
Just my .02

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These is a fantastic discussion. Because if you're interviewed by police at some point, which description would you use? I definitely think the original post isn't as accurate as it could be. But expanding it like we have definitely seems better to me.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Glockmeister. I never thought to look at it that deep.

cathal wrote:
I definitely think the original post isn't as accurate as it could be. But expanding it like we have definitely seems better to me.

I agree. As I said in the initial post, I found the definition while reading an article. It can definitely be expanded, but the concepts listed really hit towards the point, I think.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of self-protection as preemptive actions I have to take myself, as opposed to help I might expect or seek from others (like police or friends). Self-defense is action in progress defending against an active threat.

Of course, this might just be old fighter pilot definitions to get to the target and back.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: