Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Self training karate? Reply with quote

Hi there!

You know my story: got a 2nd degree brown belt in shito-ryu karate, quit when I was 18, then didn't do any martial arts until a good 20 years later, got a belt in some mcdojo style of kempo (it wasn't a mcdojo until I had my brown belt, but by then I felt I was too far along to quit so I decided to get my shodan anyway), and I was also doing some muay thai.

Then COVID hit and I stopped all my training. You'd have thought COVID would be over by now, but here we are. I really don't want to risk going into a closed space where a bunch of people will be within handshake distance of each other and exhaling, so going back to any dojo or MMA gym is a no-no for the time being.

I still feel the itch of practicing martial arts, and since I am really disappointed in the kempo stuff (did I mention they change their "kata" every couple months as the instructors see fit? lol), I decided I want to try to train shito ryu again, only this time by myself.

I know self-training is far from ideal, and that it doesn't count officially. But I already have the background (brown belt, after all) and I just want to stay active and remember the kata I once used to know.

How can I go about this? I'd like some sort of guide to re-learn the shito ryu curriculum.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to has always been books, but you can probably find some great resources on YouTube, as well.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Self training karate? Reply with quote

RW wrote:
I know self-training is far from ideal, and that it doesn't count officially. But I already have the background (brown belt, after all) and I just want to stay active and remember the kata I once used to know.

Says who? Don't let anyone tell you how to do something that you love, especially when you already have all this experience. I self-trained with videos and books when I was looking to get back into karate with a dojo. It helped me finish up the curriculum that my teacher had when he stopped teaching.

I also would do some research into books. Blackbeltwiki could be a resource, but it's a shot in the dark as to whether the Shito-Ryu kata videos on there are the ones that you would have practiced or from some branch that wasn't yours.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Self training karate? Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
RW wrote:

Says who? Don't let anyone tell you how to do something that you love, especially when you already have all this experience. I self-trained with videos and books when I was looking to get back into karate with a dojo. It helped me finish up the curriculum that my teacher had when he stopped teaching.

I also would do some research into books. Blackbeltwiki could be a resource, but it's a shot in the dark as to whether the Shito-Ryu kata videos on there are the ones that you would have practiced or from some branch that wasn't yours.

Oh, I didn't know about black belt wiki, this is great, thanks!!!

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in Shito-Ryu at the same age and got just as far. Then I went off to college, and hooked up with a Tang Soo Do club. Forms were pretty much the same. I went through the black belt ranks and moved on to other things from there, but all these years later I still do those forms. Have fun with it! And if you get stuck, have a question, now we have YouTube.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have youtube and online schools using facetime technology, which even includes testing!

but nothing can replace the feel of training hard with your classmates, you share the floor and sweat.

GojoBoggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only learn from books if that's absolutely all you have available. The true value of karate is being part of a Dojo.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GojoBoggy wrote:
I would only learn from books if that's absolutely all you have available. The true value of karate is being part of a Dojo.
Welcome to KarateForums!

I'm interested in this decision. Why only books? With the variety of video we have available, I feel like it is much easier to learn from a video than a book.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
GojoBoggy wrote:
Welcome to KarateForums!

I'm interested in this decision. Why only books? With the variety of video we have available, I feel like it is much easier to learn from a video than a book.

I feel the two combined could be quite a valuable learning experience.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Zaine wrote:
GojoBoggy wrote:
Welcome to KarateForums!

I feel the two combined could be quite a valuable learning experience.
Agreed. Scientifically speaking, we learn best when we expose ourselves to a variety of learning modes. The more ways you can learn something, the better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: