Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

luv2flyjrn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito kai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the older students as well. The importance of footwork and positioning really stand out. When younger one can over come such deficiencies through flexibility and strength. The old we get the exactmess of the move becomes ever more apparent.

On a side note it is near impossible for me to read this forum on a phone without my glasses.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2flyjrn wrote:

On a side note it is near impossible for me to read this forum on a phone without my glasses.

hahahahaha me too, but you can turn your phone side on and zoom it with 2 fingers, then you have to slide it back and forth a bit to read the whole line, but it can be done!!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this all too well. I'm now 46 and getting back into the martial arts. Over the past few years, I really neglected my health while I tried to focus on completing my PhD while also maintaining a healthy relationship with my wife and 6 year old son. Now I'm overweight, inflexible, and have minor arthritis in the knees.

I'm having to find some alternative exercises and find out how far I can push myself before the recovery time outweighs the benefit to pushing myself harder. After the first month, the knees are doing much better at recovery, and now I'm down to the standard muscle soreness. I'd kick myself for letting myself get this far out of shape at this age, but I'm not flexible enough to do that.

Oh well, the only thing I can do is try to do better today and tomorrow.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One might consider or contemplate the difference between chronological age and biological age as they are very different.

To stop doing what once did when younger, is in many cases not due to getting older but stopping to do them on a regular basis and therefore losing that what once could do.

Nothing wrong or sinful in getting older, not playing and staying youthful in the process is.

I personally dislike seeing stereotypes of retired couples dancing slowly on a cruise ship, looking like they are enjoying themselves in their later years but why not having these same couples kicking boxing each other instead.

I have known retired couples that skydive together, also as my grandmother was cliff diving while at retirement age, point being, that older isn't a reasonable answer to stop doing anything if still in good enough shape and health to do it.

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say work to the best of your abilities, but keep on pushing and testing yourself.

Guy at my Dojo went for kumite tournaments quite recently, he's 62 years of age now. Yes he has injuries, had shoulder operations recently, you know, the things that come with age. But he enjoys tremendous respect for just fighting with the younger guys and testing himself.

Gichin Funakoshi

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melau wrote:
I'd say work to the best of your abilities, but keep on pushing and testing yourself.

Guy at my Dojo went for kumite tournaments quite recently, he's 62 years of age now. Yes he has injuries, had shoulder operations recently, you know, the things that come with age. But he enjoys tremendous respect for just fighting with the younger guys and testing himself.
Sorry Melau: I am in my 60's that has to take it easy on the younger guys and not the other way around.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Melau wrote:

Sorry Melau: I am in my 60's that has to take it easy on the younger guys and not the other way around.

I wholeheartedly agree with the bold type above.

PhilExpat
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan / Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 53 and I just exercise - besides 2 times karate a week I do 2-3 timey gym - and I stretch a lot.

And whats the problem in beeing not that flexible anymore if your technique is good ?
I mean I dont get my legs that high in sidekick anymore, but I dont need to kick that guys guts when its same effective to go for his kneecap - right ?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts is more interesting when older, as in it becomes more multidimensional.

If need to turn the heat up, being very aggressive it is possible or just to be deflecting and defending with good humour for the experienced, it is also possible.

Yet the younger ones just seem to have an on and off switch with their tempers, that haven't managed to control their own thermostat dials; bless'em!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilExpat wrote:
Im 53 and I just exercise - besides 2 times karate a week I do 2-3 timey gym - and I stretch a lot.

And whats the problem in beeing not that flexible anymore if your technique is good ?
I mean I dont get my legs that high in sidekick anymore, but I dont need to kick that guys guts when its same effective to go for his kneecap - right ?

There’s a very simple way to kick people in the head - knock them down first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: