Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Shamrock vs. Gracie Reply with quote

The other night I was channel surfing and came across a fight between Frank Shamrock and one of the Gracie brothers. (I forgot which Gracie). I don't know if this was an old rerun or a new fight, as I was just flipping through and stopped to watch.

Anyway, what happened was Shamrock lost the bout and got disqualified because he kicked the Gracie guy in the head while they were on the floor and Gracie was obviously affected by it enough that the fight was stopped. Shamrock told reporters that he is old school, and he came here to fight and that's how he fights. He said he wasn't aware of the rule "no hits to the head".

I was wondering if anyone saw this and what your thoughts were on this?

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see this but I did read somethings on this bout. Basically if I remember right Shamrock had been handled fairlyeasily for a round and couldn't stop the takedown nor could he get up. I think Shamrock basically threw the knee hoping to get a stand up and a warning but the ref chose a diffrent path for him. Frank's a seasoned fighter and used a weak excuse for what he did. He knew the rules going in, he's an intelligent fighter and he knew what he was doing when he done it.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Shamrock was rather smug about the whole incident and I figured he was lying when he said he didn't know about the rules. (yeah, right Frank) Meanwhile the Gracie guy looked like he got hit by a ton of bricks. Man, he was definitely zonked by that shot to the head.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, the Gracies have been known for their "take all comers, no rules" philosophy. Just playing devil's advocate here, to bring out another point. Yeah, it should not be tolerated if it is against the rules, but Shamrock does have a bit of a point.

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido_man, I would agree with you if this had been a "Gracie Challenge" but it was not. It was a typical MMA event on TV with sanctioned rules. If I remember right both Gracie and Shamrock were coaches , so they both knew the rules well.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this was kina weird. I think this was an excuse for tapping the guy in the head because he was frustrated.

Did he actually intend to do it? Maybe, maybe not. I can see a fighter getting worked up because his frustration is mounting and letting go with one. It still dosn't make it right, of course and shouldn't be tolerated.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

Yeah, this was kina weird. I think this was an excuse for tapping the guy in the head because he was frustrated. . . .

It still dosn't make it right, of course and shouldn't be tolerated.

How about a fighter who doesn't know when to stop? I remember a boxing match in which one fighter had another against the ropes, and as he pounded away, his opponent just slid right down to the canvas, winding up in a seated position.

The standing fighter leaned over and gave a strong punch to the head of the downed man; the referee disqualified the standing fighter, whose people protested that he was just continuing the punching as the man fell.

The referee insisted he knew what he saw; the video replay showed it was exactly as the referee had called it; the "winning" standing fighter had just not controlled himself and threw victory away.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that as well. Again, I can understand being caught up in the moment but there are boundries. Refs should have the punitive power to dq fighers if they go to far. It why sanctioning bodies were invented.

There is a big difference in the accptable version of this, say that late shot while the other guy si still standing but the ref isn't quite in there yet, vs. the unacceptable version. In this case, a downed opponant, who obviously can't fight back and is out of bounds of striking per the rules of hte competition they are in. One would expectm ore contorl out of a fighter trainied under those rules. DQ is more than fair.

seersin
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Renzo Gracie,and IMO Frank was winning the fight when it got stopped.Renzo had a side mount on Frank,Frank was throwing knees,and one of em caught Renzo in the head.Renzo rolled over,and was in some intense pain.It did sem a little exaggerated however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: