Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: She's Too Violent!! Reply with quote

I almost put this up in the KF forum, "Martial Arts and Politics", but then I thought otherwise...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/wal-mart-won-t-sell-ronda-rousey-s-new-book-because-she-s-too-violent-180144157.html

I admit I'm surprised at Walmart, but, it's their company, and not mine.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I find it very funny. Historically when someone's book or film is banned it just makes that material so much more popular.

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are on to something here. It does smell an awful lot like a publicity stunt. It would not be the first time someone has purposely had something banned to create demand. On the other hand, publications are usually controversial for their content or perceived message rather than what the author does to get their jollies

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I didn't immediately think publicity stunt but I wouldn't put it past her or her publisher. In any case I doubt it'll affect her sales to a major degree. It doesn't seem to be hitting mainstream media.

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is already in a very limited niche of interest. Obviously her popularity, whatever it may be, is limited to the narrow circle of MMA fans. I doubt she is even vaguely recognized by the average citizen who probably is not a fan of hers or even expresses interest for her sport. Although it could have something to do with her PR, it does seem very odd that only Walmart would refuse to sell a sport fighter's book when two of the largest bookstore chains are selling it. Strange indeed....

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
She is already in a very limited niche of interest. Obviously her popularity, whatever it may be, is limited to the narrow circle of MMA fans. I doubt she is even vaguely recognized by the average citizen who probably is not a fan of hers or even expresses interest for her sport. Although it could have something to do with her PR, it does seem very odd that only Walmart would refuse to sell a sport fighter's book when two of the largest bookstore chains are selling it. Strange indeed....
I actually think the opposite is true. Ronda's popularity has crossed into the mainstream, and there are lots of people who know who she is but don't follow fighting. She's gained that kind of notoriety.

I think she is one of the most-searched topics on Google, as well, so she has some drawing power.

I do think it odd that Walmart won't carry her book in stores, but will sell it through their website. It doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense that they refer to her as "too violent," but sell the Game of Thrones DVD series, which, if they follow the books well, and I understand they do, are quite a bit more violent than any of Ronda's fights. I think it smacks of hypocrisy on Walmart's part.

Either way, I don't think it will affect her book sales that much.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:
I actually think the opposite is true. Ronda's popularity has crossed into the mainstream, and there are lots of people who know who she is but don't follow fighting. She's gained that kind of notoriety.

I think she is one of the most-searched topics on Google, as well, so she has some drawing power.

I do think it odd that Walmart won't carry her book in stores, but will sell it through their website. It doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense that they refer to her as "too violent," but sell the Game of Thrones DVD series, which, if they follow the books well, and I understand they do, are quite a bit more violent than any of Ronda's fights. I think it smacks of hypocrisy on Walmart's part.

Either way, I don't think it will affect her book sales that much.

Solid post!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be conflicting reports as some sources say they will sell it, just won't display it.
http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/06/ronda-rousey-book-walmart-not-banned-no-display-stores/

It's a odd decision but IIRC they've chosen not to sell magazines, toys, etc because they've disagreed with what they portray.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle is right that Walmart has a track record for excluding items for content. For example, they don't sell explicit music in stores. I remember this being the case when I was a kid and it is the case now. You can buy it the explicit version through their website. So it looks like Rousey's book is being treated similarly.

Danielle's link mentions that they will allow you to buy online and using the Ship-to-Store feature, you can pick it up at the store in the dedicated pickup area (it's at the back of my local Walmart).

Brian definitely isn't the first to suggest there is a bit of a double standard with other mediums, like movies and TV.

I doubt Walmart did this to create any publicity for Rousey as they have no reason to do that. But Rousey (or, more likely, the publisher) wouldn't be harmed by playing this up a bit, that's for sure. It's not the same as a banned book or close, but they can get some buzz off it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity killed the cat. And in this case, imho, the cat here is the readers that have to know why this book is how Walmart decided across the board. Like sex and violence sells this and that, so does the need to know the "why" of a book, in this case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: