Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ryanryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Shogun on FX Reply with quote

I saw this trailer for a new adaptation of James Clavell's Shogun a few weeks ago:

https://youtu.be/yAN5uspO_hk?si=_GqecuWqhLaBy9Ai

And there was a REALLY positive review in the Post too:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/2024/02/27/shogun-tv-review-fx/

It premiered earlier this week. I haven't watched it yet, but I am really excited to see it. I loved this book when I read it years ago, it is what turned me on to historical fiction in the first place. Even now, I can't keep the Shogun characters straight from the actual historical Japanese figures...

Have anyone watched this?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched episodes 1 and 2 when Shogun premiered on FX on February 27th.

Seems it's staying close to the original mini-series story however with their own interpretations of how they want to tell their version. Things are changed and things are left out from the original Shogun for their own reasons.

One thing I noticed was whenever the Japanese are talking to one another, they talk in English, but whenever the Japanese are talking to Blackthorne or the like, they spoke in Japanese.

In short, it was pretty good so far, and I'll be watching it on FX every Tuesday.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get into this. I haven't seen any other version of the story, so it will be my first exposure to it.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book years ago and it was really good (from what i remember anyway!) so will definitely give it a try!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the original book, and I saw the mini-series many moons ago. In short, I'm liking it quite a bit. I noticed that they didn't tone down the language at all. I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
I've read the original book, and I saw the mini-series many moons ago. In short, I'm liking it quite a bit. I noticed that they didn't tone down the language at all. I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes.

Not only do they not tone down the language, but they also don't tone down the nudity either. It was surprising to me seeing that it's on FX. Remaining episodes should be wonderful.

Brian and DP might have a better enjoyment while watching this Shogun version having not ever seen the mini-series with no misconceiving's as they won't be noticing the many things that aren't seen in this Shogun version but were apparent in the original mini-series.

I saw the mini-series before I read the Shogun book, which I enjoyed. As always, no matter how well the movie is done, the movie can't put everything from the book because if so, the movie would be very long.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the first series (I have it on DVD) and it is awesome.

This new series looks amazing (though I have only watched the trailers and episode 1).

I have not read the book, but I am a big fan of samurai history, especially during the Sengoku Jidai era, and have read and studied many historical books on that period. Though this show is historical fiction, it is modeled very well after the real historical period.

Karate no michi!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 3 was very good. What happens at the very end was absolutely not in the mini-series, even though I got a laugh from it. I'm admittingly noticing all of the changes made in this Shogun version from the mini-series but even though I'm loving the new Shogun,

I'm getting lost in the changes between the two versions where I find myself being critical instead of just enjoying the new version. I hate that about myself. I do the same thing with any MA movie, I don't watch to enjoy the MA movie, I watch the MA movie as a CI doing a Testing Cycle.

Can't wait to see episode 4 next week.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While watching the next to last of the 2024 Shogun, we both were wondering if there was a second season in the works due to the current Shogun's pace. Sure, the 2024 Shogun has marched to its own tune in many ways, but will there be a second season?

Here's the answer...

"We took the story to the end of the book and put a period at the end of that sentence. We love how the book ends; it was one of the reasons why we both knew we wanted to do it — and we ended in exactly that place. And I’ve been party to this in the past with shows like this, where you build a whole factory, and it only pumps out 10 cars and closes up shop. It’s a bummer. You know, one of our producers wrote a nearly 900-page instruction manual for how we do this show — almost as long as the book Shogun itself. All of this infrastructural knowledge went into it. I just hope someone else — maybe a friend — needs a production primer on feudal Japan at some point, so I can be like, 'Here you go, use this book. That will save you 11 months." ~ Series co-creators Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo.

The unfortunate thing is that there will be no season 2. The show was marketed as a mini-series and as what the co-creators have hinted above, 2024 Shogun, is a one-and-done season.

Finale will air on April 23rd.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have watched it up to last weeks episode and really enjoying it so far - they have done a great job with it i think.

The cast have been excellent - i particularly like Yabushige!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: