Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6455
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Smart Home Reply with quote

Anyone got any smart-tech in their homes?

I've recently got a Google Home and love it. I already had a few Chromecasts and Chromecast Audio's around the house and this just fits seamlessly into my set up.

Looking to expand out now and want to add WiFi controlled lights, thermostat and maybe some security features like cameras and door sensors. Anyone have any of these?

I'm having a dilemma over what brand to go for as I want it all interconnected and don't want to have 10 000 hubs everywhere.


(For the uninitiated: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smart-home-automation/article/smart-home-products-and-systems/home-automation-explained )
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 16 Nov 2014
Posts: 199
Location: UK
Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Amazon Echoes and I'm ashamed to say I just use them to play music
I'd like to hook the lights up and heating but I find there are other things I could spend the money on (karate books and gi etc) and it never happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually trying to avoid all that, as they do collect a whole bunch of data on the customers who use smart-tech. It's bad enough that Google probably knows me way too well because I use Chrome, Gmail and have an Android phone.

But, I suppose that makes me a bit paranoid?
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6455
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushybees wrote:
I have two Amazon Echoes and I'm ashamed to say I just use them to play music
I'd like to hook the lights up and heating but I find there are other things I could spend the money on (karate books and gi etc) and it never happens.

Not sure if Alexa does it but I do find it quite cool to wake up in the morning and ask Google about my day. Reads off my calendar, the weather, then a quick run down of the new headlines.

I want either bulbs or switches for me table lamps and thermostat. Been debating back and forth all day
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6455
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I'm actually trying to avoid all that, as they do collect a whole bunch of data on the customers who use smart-tech. It's bad enough that Google probably knows me way too well because I use Chrome, Gmail and have an Android phone.

But, I suppose that makes me a bit paranoid?

I think you'd be surprised at how much they know already just from your internet history and location history!
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 16495
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
mushybees wrote:
I have two Amazon Echoes and I'm ashamed to say I just use them to play music
I'd like to hook the lights up and heating but I find there are other things I could spend the money on (karate books and gi etc) and it never happens.

Not sure if Alexa does it but I do find it quite cool to wake up in the morning and ask Google about my day. Reads off my calendar, the weather, then a quick run down of the new headlines.

I want either bulbs or switches for me table lamps and thermostat. Been debating back and forth all day

OK...I just got to get an Amazon Echoes soon!! I like what Danielle says that Alexa, which I think that Alexa is the name of her Amazon Echoes, I think, she reads off her calendar, the weather, then a quick run down of the new headlines. That is cool, and I believe that it could be much more helpful than a notepad.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6455
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
mushybees wrote:
I have two Amazon Echoes and I'm ashamed to say I just use them to play music
I'd like to hook the lights up and heating but I find there are other things I could spend the money on (karate books and gi etc) and it never happens.

Not sure if Alexa does it but I do find it quite cool to wake up in the morning and ask Google about my day. Reads off my calendar, the weather, then a quick run down of the new headlines.

I want either bulbs or switches for me table lamps and thermostat. Been debating back and forth all day

OK...I just got to get an Amazon Echoes soon!! I like what Danielle says that Alexa, which I think that Alexa is the name of her Amazon Echoes, I think, she reads off her calendar, the weather, then a quick run down of the new headlines. That is cool, and I believe that it could be much more helpful than a notepad.



I actually have a Google Home instead but guess that Alexa has similar features. Both are discounted at the minute for Black Friday.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Patrick
KF Administrator

Joined: 01 May 2001
Posts: 28847
Location: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gone too deep yet. I have had an Amazon Echo for 3 years, and I like it a lot. But that's all. I have an Echo Dot and a Google Home (came free with my new phone) that I haven't opened yet, but will probably use at some point. I'm interested in doing more, but haven't yet identified anything I need to have or that I felt would meaningfully enhance my life. I'm sure that will change over time.

Patrick
_________________
Patrick O'Keefe - KarateForums.com Administrator
Have a suggestion or a bit of feedback relating to KarateForums.com? Please contact me!
KarateForums.com Articles - KarateForums.com Awards - Member of the Month - User Guidelines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 30275
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I'm actually trying to avoid all that, as they do collect a whole bunch of data on the customers who use smart-tech. It's bad enough that Google probably knows me way too well because I use Chrome, Gmail and have an Android phone.

But, I suppose that makes me a bit paranoid?


Remember, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 1637
Location: Naples, FL
Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't where I'm currently living, but my ex had the hobby of making as much of the house as possible smart.

He bought a Wink system for all the lights and the front door lock. All those could be controlled verbally by Alexa or remotely from our phones.

He got a nest for the thermostat that could be controlled by our phones so we could leave the heat lower during the day and crank it up when we were on our way home.

He had the TV receiver hooked up to Alexa so we could tell Alexa verbally to change the channel, change the volume, turn off the tv, turn on the XBox, etc.

He had the whole house monitored by cameras (don't remember the brand) that he could view any time from his phone.

He even had an egg container that would keep track of how long each egg has been in the fridge and tell you when it was time to use them or toss them.

It was pretty cool. It's a fun little hobby, I think, but to be honest I don't really miss it. Pretty much the only smart device we had that I really thought was lifechanging was the front door lock. It was cool for everyone to have their own code to get in and for the system to alert you whenever someone used a code. You could make temporary codes for people like contractors and then delete the code when they were done with the job. You could also remotely unlock the door with your phone if you wanted to let someone in when you weren't home or remotely lock the door if you get to work and realize you forgot to lock it. Also, the week before we got it I accidentally locked myself out of the house while he was on a business trip and I had to spend $80 on a locksmith to let me in. This removes that possibility entirely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - DMCA - Staff - User Guidelines >