Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickers are superior!!!

Reasons why.

1. More power!!! (this one is followed by a grunt like home improvement)

2. Faster!
now on number 2 before you guys go into a lecture about hands being quicker let me get to point 3.

3. Better Range.
now 2 and 3 if you compare the distance a foot travels to its target to the distance a hand travels. a rear leg kick goes maybe 3 or 4 times as far as a lead hand attack, with only a slight increase to time start to finish.
So hands do get from point a to point be in less time, but they travel a whole lot less distance so really they are slower! and for that mater my lead leg round house is only .05 slower than my lead hand kizami
4. in shobu sanbon jodan geri = IPPON!!!!
5. in the New wkf system jodan geri = SANBON!
5 and 1/2. in the new WKF system Chudan geri = nippon!!!!
6. People dont see them as quickly because the movement starts below the waist. (hands start at the hand if your good or at the shoulder if your like most americans)
7. I throw kicks, and im better than everyone so It must be that kicking is better!!!!

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here we go .
I disagree and here is why . We did an exparament a while back to see which one went father and an oizuki (lunge punch ) like the one in taikyokyu shodan . you can travel around 6 to 7 feet wiht lots of power I have never seen a kick travel that far wiht power also youkeep your balance since both feet are on the ground .

I dont care what people asy if you hve one foot on the ground and one up in the air trying to kick ome one in the head you are off ballance .

Im not just speaking from a traditional okinawan martial artist but i also have a red belt in taekwondo which i do not pratice anymore.

But this is just my opinion and yoiu know what they say about opinions.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True
2. Faster!
You are mistaken my hands are most certainly quicker.
3. Better Range
a step or reverse punch will cover alot more ground the further you overextend a kick the less power. A kicker can also be jammed just stay in close where he cant extend his legs.
6. People dont see them as quickly because the movement starts below the waist. (hands start at the hand if your good or at the shoulder if your like most americans)
I find most kicks easier to pick up that hand techniques. The shifting of weight and other telegraphing makes it easier.
7. I throw kicks, and im better than everyone so It must be that kicking is better!!!!
Now thats funny!!!

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ZakariRu, that is a troll.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll == Eye Of The Tiger

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not agree either. Hand beat feet anyday in a speed race. I understand the point your making but your hands are alwasy free anc can always be used. Legs have things you can't control: Jeans, Boots, bad ground, weather, etc.

I like kicks but I like low kicks. There is no need to ever kick higer than the waste IMO.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. everything went according to plan. bwahahha.
Im a shotokan stylist so everyone at my club tends to be a good puncher(everyone that can fight). My kumite coach (other side of the state) started out as tSD and then converted to shotokan, so they can all punch and kick.

now my defense of my troll
True (no doubt!)
2. Faster!
You are mistaken my hands are most certainly quicker.
heres the challenge, well start from about 7 feet away, you throw a punch and ill throw a kick and we will see who gets hit first.
3. Better Range
a step or reverse punch will cover alot more ground the further you overextend a kick the less power. A kicker can also be jammed just stay in close where he cant extend his legs.
If a kicker can control the range (like all fighters should be able to, however with karate stylist this is a problem as most of them stand toe to toe) they wont be jammed.
6. People dont see them as quickly because
the movement starts below the waist. (hands start at the hand if your good or at the shoulder if your like most americans)
I find most kicks easier to pick up that hand techniques. The shifting of weight and other telegraphing makes it easier.

not if you do it right, im quite good at throwing kicks without shifting my weight or stepping up to throw a lead leg kick, you just need decent footwork. (no where near as good as my kumite coach, and my kata coach is a great kicker too he just dosent have the footwork)

P.S. no one has touched that with the new wkf rules you have to kick

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, you are right. I just measured. Lunging forward punch - about 6 feet. Front or Side kick - about 3 feet. These are both from a natural standing position.

When the lunge punch is combined with an extra initial step it can cover an enormous amount of ground very quickly.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys dont throw side kicks right my side snap kick goes three feet. my side thrust kick goes about 8 and half with my sliding foot (ashi something, damn japanese) my round house goes from one corner of the ring to the other
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
and believe me when i say that you have to step to throw a punch that far. oi zuki is not a fast technique by any standards. you can get hit in hte middle of the step easily, and there is ample time when you are out of range to either step further away, or move in. I haven ever seen anyone but well me throw oi zuki in competition. (that was sanbon zuki anyway with me cheating)

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your roundhouse covers one end of the ring to the other?!?

You really must be a troll.

Oh, you mean with the step and all. I think I know the side thrust kick you mean.... (goes to check) yeah, about 7-8 ft... (This is where you step forward with the back foot first, right? Then launch from there, using the momentum of the first step to increase power.)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: