Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Solo combative training? :/ Reply with quote

how does a martial artist train combat techniques without a sparring partner?

I can practice kata all day long, however that just helps me condition my body to make those techs feel natural.

now applying it to actual combat is a whole different story because I've notice all the techniques I learn in kata are slightly different when applying them in combat situations.

like for example, in the kata, futokata-iche you throw these upper blocks when really in combative training? all it really is, is a upper punch deflecting an arm o.o (amazed) so been wondering -_- how can I get better at combat training when I only have one person that trains me in the combative form twice a week? -_-

Karateka63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I ask someone who doesn't do martial arts it just feels like I'm bullying them when I'm not because I'm just trying to improve but then I get frustrated because I know I'm not improving because there not really doing anything to make me feel like I'm in a combative situation.

there either afraid to get hit -_- or they think it's an invitation to beat the crap outta me -_- then I gotta tell em I'm trying to improve not go the hospital then all the sudden they ease up too much then there afraid to hit me anymore after that -_-

this is frustrating because my mom doesn't have that amount of gas money to take me from place to place to place just to train 45 min at a time each day while going to college -_-

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough spot. Cultivating training partners is, without a doubt, the best option. It sounds like you're having problems with this. It's always easier to cultivate from a club rather than build your own. That way they come pre-programmed with the basics of how to learn.

Past that, I'm a fan of the heavy bad, the double ended bag, and shadowboxing. These have a handful of advantages over kata to me. First, they are free form, this gets you out of the fixed pattern and into putting weapons to targets while moving.

The heavy bad lets you move around it, work your evasion and footwork and hit something really hard. Bonus. The double ended bag give you the same movement and presents and rapidly moving target and it give you the start of something coming back at you. Shadowboxing really lets you tighten your techniques at a speed that lets you do them perfectly and lets you build good muscle memory on them. But, it allows you to mix up routine and attack and defense patterns.

If you're into grappling at all, think about building a dummy or buying one. They can be useful if you're getting minimal time to train on the mat. My cut off point is usually 3 times per week. If your attending a grappling class 2-3 times per week that does technique and an hour of open mat, you won't need one. Anything less, they are fantastic.

Also, on the grappling front, look into Andre Galvao's book "Drill to Win" it has several solo grappling drills that will help you quite a bit.

Lastly, look at using the time to increase your conditioning. Better cardio and a stronger, more durable fighter all begin to effect how you can perform in conflict.

Good luck, keep us posted.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Lastly, look at using the time to increase your conditioning. Better cardio and a stronger, more durable fighter all begin to effect how you can perform in conflict.

All good advise by tallgeese. This last paragraph here is one that may be the easiest for you to add in. You don't need a partner for it, and it will benefit in the long run.

Another thing I would add along with the shadowboxing and other methods tg mentioned is to use some visualization training, as well. Picture an attack coming at you, and then defend it. Then picture the same attack, defend, and then perhaps alter your defense during the scenario due to some change in the event, or perhaps because the previous one didn't work, or things like that. I'll admit its tougher to do, but it may prove helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: