Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good plan. In a majority of cases the time spent in the dojo/school is at least somewhat structured and always limited. There is only so much that can be done in a one or two hour session. Home/solo training and practise is best spent on refining specific techniques, and whatever there isn’t enough time to do in the school/dojo such as basics, strength etc..

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo training from a senior perspective needs to be tweaked as too much of one thing seems to be neglecting another.

Therefore my solo training will never be the same from one week to another, being creative and innovative seems to keep me motivated, being open minded, finding other martial art styles and systems fascinating works also.

As my solo training starting a new week will be based on a theme, dividing my time on dry land/gym and dojo and water/swimming pool and water spa.

As doing kicks and techniques/katas, stretching in water gives a whole new perspective to training methods usually done on dry surfaces/land.

With my usual 7 hrs a day, divided in to 2 training sessions, it will be interesting for me personally to see how if any improvements are made by training wet and dry on a daily basis.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Isometric exercise for martial artists is something to keep in mind, especially for creating strength in techniques.

This is part of training to win methodology.

https://youtu.be/cfNJzv0TumU

Really interesting, thanks

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Isometric exercise for martial artists is something to keep in mind, especially for creating strength in techniques.

This is part of training to win methodology.

https://youtu.be/cfNJzv0TumU

Really interesting, thanks
Thank you RW.

Isometrics works perfectly with the ABC principle

"Always Be Conditioning"

martialartsandfitnessuk
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Frestyle Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try (and I use that word loosely here, as it doesn't always happen!) to practice the things that my mind wants to avoid! It's all to easy to practice what you know you're good at but practicing stuff that you're weaker on is hard lol.
Tim x

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSfUfmT0tqKyV7lL6rqOMg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martialartsandfitnessuk wrote:
I try (and I use that word loosely here, as it doesn't always happen!) to practice the things that my mind wants to avoid! It's all to easy to practice what you know you're good at but practicing stuff that you're weaker on is hard lol.
Tim x
Overriding thoughts of slacking off regarding training sessions is a part of having self discipline that needs to be addressed.

Mastering oneself takes time, patience and dedication.

A process of gradually replacing bad habits with better ones, till finally free from addictions, no matter how insignificant they are.

Self respect and having satisfaction from work outs or training is earned, slacking off or cheating in this area only diminishes self esteem and confidence.

Being an example for others first starts with becoming an example to one's self.

Not interested in impressing others as that is easy, finding and fixing weaknesses in oneself is far more worthwhile and rewarding.

IMHO

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad to the bone training partner.
https://youtu.be/_GSXmcoHWOI

norse_dragon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I've recently fell in love with for solo training is an agricultural sickle that came with this house I've moved into 7 years ago.

It's very similar to this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Hand-Sickle-Scythe-Austria-Ribbed-Wood-Handle-Primitive-Farm-Handtool/133101247371?hash=item1efd73db8b:g:NzAAAOSwOPxdGsRP

This is not something you can just swing and it will feel right. Due to it's curves (the blade itself is contoured like) and the agricultural work it's meant for, it takes the proper body mechanics to achieve a gratifying swashing sound.

To me that swash sound is the same effect as a sword passing clean through a tatami mat. Or achieving a the clap when striking a clapping makiwara.
A good swash tells me it's a well honed swipe.

I practice with one every other day, for five minutes with each hand, and a different combo every minute.
And I do these in a 1-2, the first being main power stroke which is wide but compact, with the follow up being more of an outreaching pecking 'thrust' motion.

1: Downwards cross stokes
2: Upwards cross strokes
3: Horizontal
4: Vertical down with upwards jab
5: Vertical up with downwards jab

And when it comes to these first main strokes mentioned, I do so with the contours in mind and use the direction and body mechanics necessary to achieve the swash. Like with my right hand, I would primary strike inwards 'with the grain'.

Even with the left hand, I don't alternate to the mirror reflection, but in the same exact direction to achieve the swash. So I'm still going left-to-right, just with another hand.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like quite the unique weapon there, norse_dragon. I'll bet it gets even trickier when you start doing weapon on weapon work. But it's lots of fun to explore new things like this.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not counting warm up and stretchingI mostly train using punching bag or do some kata.
I dont have much equipment other than sit up bench, rowing machine and treadmil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: