Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Little Rowe boat
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu San Soo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people when intitially confronted with a possible violent situation feel a certain amount of fear. Even the trained fighter before they enter the ring has a bit of anxious fear but they control and focus that anxiousness/fear and use it to their advantage. With fear comes an adrenaline rush and a burst of energy and even strength. Some people will use that energy to get away and some to engage the other person ( fight or flight). I think much of how a person reacts in a violent situation has a lot to do with how they were raised. If you were raised in a household with older brothers who picked on and bullied you, then you would probably engage the other person and if you were raised as an only child and coddled by a mother who constantly protected you then you would probably not engage and choose to get away. Im not saying either one of these is right or wrong just a matter of circumstance.
Confidence and awareness of your surroundings is typically enough to not become the victim of violence. A person that carries themself with selfassurance, exudes confidence and is aware of what is going on around them is usually not the person that will be a victim of violence. On the other hand a person that walks around with their head down afraid to make eye contact and does not pay attention to their surroundings is a violent criminals usual target.
My wife takes an occassional womens seminar on self defense at the studio where my son and I train. The first thing they talk about is awareness, awareness of your surroundings and to NOT put yourself in a situation where you become an easy target ex..( dark parking lot, parked next to a van that has a slidding door,) . They also teach them to go for soft targets if they do end up in a situation where they have to fight like the Groin, eyes, throat. They tell them DO NOT LEAVE with the person/criminal,( chances of survival once they have you in a different location is very slim). Fight ,yell and scream, draw attention to the situation and Do NOT freeze up, do not become passive and submit. That is what the violent offender wants and his banking on.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rowe boat wrote:
I think much of how a person reacts in a violent situation has a lot to do with how they were raised. If you were raised in a household with older brothers who picked on and bullied you, then you would probably engage the other person and if you were raised as an only child and coddled by a mother who constantly protected you then you would probably not engage and choose to get away. Im not saying either one of these is right or wrong just a matter of circumstance.

I agree with you here to an extent, but I also believe that one can train their mindset to get past this kind of thing, and learn how to deal with that fear when it comes on.

Little Rowe boat
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Little Rowe boat wrote:
I think much of how a person reacts in a violent situation has a lot to do with how they were raised. If you were raised in a household with older brothers who picked on and bullied you, then you would probably engage the other person and if you were raised as an only child and coddled by a mother who constantly protected you then you would probably not engage and choose to get away. Im not saying either one of these is right or wrong just a matter of circumstance.

I agree with you here to an extent, but I also believe that one can train their mindset to get past this kind of thing, and learn how to deal with that fear when it comes on.

I agree whole heartedly but I also believe that the earlier someone starts to change or train their mindset the better.
My family and I went on vacation with my best friends family back in 2010. The entire time I had to police my son when he was around my friends youngest son who is about 2 years older and out weighs my son by 50 plus pounds. My son was constantly picked on and it got old very fast.I would constantly hear my son saying " stop leave me alone". When we returned from vacation, I put my son in Kung fu san soo and within 4 or 5 months his mindset went from a helpless victim to a confident kid that was not going to be bullied. Now when our families get together he is no longer bullied or pushed around because HE/ my son does not allow it to happen. He will give it right back without a 2nd guess. It is amazing how much differently my friends son treats my son now. He treats him as more of an equal and does not boss or push him around.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the sooner the better, and I'm glad to see your son has gained confidence. That's a good start.

Little Rowe boat
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Im not sure if this is going to work. Im trying to post some video of him training.
Oh well it did not work.

Not sure how to post a video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: