Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Little Dragon
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: pure violence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SevenStar wrote:
That's definitely an option. I usually use a side kick though, not a back kick.

reli? i tried it counter with sidekick but it never works for me,i still get hit in the stomach.Back kick helps for me cuz when they kick my body turns at the same time so they miss or atleast hit my back.

Kilo-11
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Keichu-Do (Karate / Jiu-Jutsu) Prior: NSI (Modern Arnis, TKD, Judo) Takeshin Aiki-Ju-Jutsu, Fencing, Kendo, Shotokan Karate, Jiu-Jutsu, Aikido, TKD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that the attack we are discussing countering is a reverse punch. If so I tend to back kick if I am in a side herse stance. If I am in a forward stance I prefer to side step and either back fist or ridge hand. You can also try lead leg thrust kicking them if you are in a forward stance. Your leg will almost always be longer than their arm.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: sparring Reply with quote

Siluntsoul,

If you are really good at kata/kihon, you should be decent at kumite. Therefore, as already mentioned, start with your mind. If you think you're bad, then you're bad. Think positive.

Second, don't think. Relax. As you bow in, feel all the muscles in your body relax. You will move more quickly when you're relaxed. This will put you in control of yourself. This goes for kata and kihon as well. Everything should be relaxed.

Last, don't worry about what your opponent is doing. Until the day comes that you can control your opponent's mind, you can't control what he does. Simply do proper technique.

Ask your instructor for some timing and distancing drills.

It's that easy.

RavenX
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Sullivan's Kenpo Jiujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...my school has a completely different approach to sparring. Instead of the seemingly dominant philosphy of "it's all in the reflexes" we try to tell our students that you have to plan what to do. Look for different openings and plan your attacks based on them. If you practice just looking for when someone's hands are down, or watching your opponents moves for a few seconds, you can plan your attacks much better.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: sparring Reply with quote

Let me expound about my last point from above.

Preforming good technique involves more than just throwing out some kicks and punches. Good technique involves linking a series of movements in a logical with precise timing. Doing this will create openings and dominate an opponent. As different systems have different combinations, I will not give examples (the combos are based upon the doctrine of your particular system).

Preforming good technique also, as raven X pointed out, involves understanding the weaknesses of your opponent; and using your movements in a way that will expose those weaknesses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: