Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SiluntSoul
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu/Shoto Kan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Sparring Help. Reply with quote

Hey, i need some help from soneone if they could. In Karate, i generally perform my Katas and warm up techniques good, with sharp movements and stuff like that... but when it comes to sparring.. i always seam to be the weakest.. im a brownbelt with black stripe too... does anyone know what my problem could be?

Little Dragon
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: pure violence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dun take karate,and i know tkd and karate spar differently,but il ltell u whut my master told me when i thought i sucked.

''The reason why you suck is because you think that you do.You lack in something,it could be speed,refelxes,etc.
Find your weakness and work on it.''

also he said..

''When you spar,you must have a free/cleared mind,do not plan a attack..just do it.Sparring is all about refelxes,when they attack you'll instantly attack back with a counter.''

iono if this helps but yeah..just trying to help-.-

SiluntSoul
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.. i never thought about it... hmm.. thx for the help.. i have karate tonight.. so im going to see how that works... =)

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Little Dragon's post. The way the human mind thinks can have a HUGE influence on the way the body behaves.

For a log time I used to think I was bad at sparring. I thought I was, so I was. Bit of a self-fullfilling prophecy. My problems started from my first competition fight. I was a red belt (which is the second coloured belt in my system) and I was up against a black belt with many years experience. The very fact she was a blackbelt demolished my confidence immediately. Instead of thinking, "well, I'll do my best" I though "oh, no, she's a black belt and she's gonna paste me!".

That episode affected me for a long time afterwards, until one day my instructor told me that I could do far more than my mind thought I could, which gave me a whole new perspective on the situation.

I'm not saying that you have to go out there thinking "I'm the greatest, no one can beat me!", but you do need an attitude of self-confidence and the thought that you're gonna try your best and go out there to win.

What my instructor said to me reminds me of an advert that is currently on British television, for a well-known sports gear company. It shows a modern day person (unknown athlete) running alongside or doing other sports alongside footage of great champoions from years gone by. The tag-lige is that "You're faster than you think". Which is true. Often, people lack confidence (I know, I've been there and still am on occasions), but they could do so much more that they feel is capable. Obviously, the company who's ad it is, is saying that you will be faster than you think if you wear our running shoes, but that's another matter...

Good luck with your sparring!

Sheffield Steelers!

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evaluate yourself - you said you are the weakest. Why? Is your defense bad? Are you too slow? Identify the holes in your game. After that, think of a plan to fix them, one at a time.

SiluntSoul
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the problem is that i have a habit of moving back when the other person attacks..

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you what I tell all of my students relax. Bruce Lee said in sparring one should be playful but play serious. THis may sound like a paradox and I guess it kind of is but if your are scared of being hit it just increases the change of you closing your eyes while someone is attacking which will get you hit for sure. So breath take you lumps now so you can give them later.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiluntSoul wrote:
well the problem is that i have a habit of moving back when the other person attacks..

Good. there's your starting point. Now, why are you moving backwards? are you afraid of getting hit? Is that the direction that you can move fastest? When you move backwards, are you blocking?

the first correction I would make is direction - don't go backwards - sidestep. if you are finding it hard to step at angles, then you may need to change your stance. Describe your fighting stance.

Little Dragon
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: pure violence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SevenStar wrote:
SiluntSoul wrote:

the first correction I would make is direction - don't go backwards - sidestep. if you are finding it hard to step at angles, then you may need to change your stance. Describe your fighting stance.

or just counter with a back kick,always works for me :]

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely an option. I usually use a side kick though, not a back kick. I'm a stickler for movement though. if you're not threre, you won't be hit and you can't get back pedalled. LOL, almost like what mr miyagi said: "best block, no be there"

Also, notice that he said he has a habit of moving backwards. SInce he already has a habit of moving, instead of trying to break it, it may be more beneficial if he just changes it. Instead of moving backwards, sidestep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: