Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
If you train by yourself, how will you correct your mistakes?? How will you know that you made a mistake?? How do you gain, even just the smallest fraction of improvement and recognizing it before it becomes a bad habit??

Without a qualified watchful eye over you, the trails and tribulations of going about MA training might have more than it's share of potholes on your MA journey.

It can be done, going about it on your own, but extremely difficult to receive the necessary quality and effectiveness.

Train hard, train well!!

ND,

I suggest that you carefully read and consider the bold, above.

Consider the best case scenario that you find an Art that you love to train, and can find a way to train under a qualified teacher in that art...

In my experience, high quality/deep martial arts have a progressive way of teaching, developing and cultivating the particular attributes and methods endemic to such Art.

For most, its harder to unlearn bad habits, than to actually learn the correct way in the first place.

It's like retrofiting a Chevy Vega with a small-block Corvette engine. It can be done, but it would have saved much time and money buying the Vette to begin with.

I suggest that you search for the less public, less known martial artists in your area...those who don't have commercial dojos, don't advertise in the yellow pages, and don't cater to the masses...they are out there.

Just my $.02.

mirkoinbrazil
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m about in the same boat you are. We have some schools but most are not worth going to for one reason or another. You will ALWAYS miss karate once it's in your blood!!!

You can do a lot of training on your own, just get you a heavy bag like the wavemaster xxl, or the bob with the boxing trunks so that you can do low kicks on it. Both are free standing, maybe even get both!!! Practice what you you know, come up with your own combinations on the bag. I like to watch instructions while sitting in the floor stretching my legs. Yes it will be hard to learn new stuff like that but if it's all you got, its all you got. practice in the mirror, go up and down your carport throwing kicks, blocks, punches, footwork/pivots. kinda like training for boxing on your on.

If you have been around for a while and feel confident in your fundamentals, can you find a neighborhood kid to teach what you know so far? There may be people around just like you who would like to get together in a carport to train, just be careful who all you let come over and make sure you have a good liability home policy in case someone gets hurt.

It may be that you can travel out of town once or twice a month for a private lesson? If you dont have a partner, you will get rusty on sparring and timing a punch coming at you.

I have a small small class I go to, but I am also watching the danny lane champion karate dvds and doing it along with him on off days, he seems to be able to teach little details well.

non_descript
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mirkoinbrazil for your post. It is good to hear from someone in similar situation who is making it work. I have a heavy bag at home and I am currently looking in to places where I can make my own mini dojo. Probably I will find someone who wish to train with me. I am not absolute beginner and I will start by returning to the basics and going on from there.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
If you train by yourself, how will you correct your mistakes?? How will you know that you made a mistake?? How do you gain, even just the smallest fraction of improvement and recognizing it before it becomes a bad habit??

Without a qualified watchful eye over you, the trails and tribulations of going about MA training might have more than it's share of potholes on your MA journey.

It can be done, going about it on your own, but extremely difficult to receive the necessary quality and effectiveness.

Train hard, train well!!

ND,

I suggest that you carefully read and consider the bold, above.

Consider the best case scenario that you find an Art that you love to train, and can find a way to train under a qualified teacher in that art...

In my experience, high quality/deep martial arts have a progressive way of teaching, developing and cultivating the particular attributes and methods endemic to such Art.

For most, its harder to unlearn bad habits, than to actually learn the correct way in the first place.

It's like retrofiting a Chevy Vega with a small-block Corvette engine. It can be done, but it would have saved much time and money buying the Vette to begin with.

I suggest that you search for the less public, less known martial artists in your area...those who don't have commercial dojos, don't advertise in the yellow pages, and don't cater to the masses...they are out there.

Just my $.02.

Yellow pages??? What’s that? What century are you living in?

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YP are all online now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: