Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic techniques, first find what union your club is part of. Either KUGB or SEKU, those are the biggest 2 in the UK. For good "practice" books that really only show you what you need to grade buy books by "Sensei Eneoda"(8th dan) one is called 10 kyu to 6 kyu then the other is 5th kyu to 1st Dan, he has done some adavnced stuff to but thats for later. These can be got off Amazon. Try to get the grips with the kata first. Kihon, Heian shodan, heian nidan etc. Really get used to holding the 3 basis postures, Zenkutsu, kokutsu and kiba Dachi. Which are basically all the stances you use. Also look at the basic punching and kicking, dont think that you can just jump into doing yokogeri's, tobikomi's and Mwashigeri's. get one kick, punch right at a time.

Be Well

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice although I finally made the dicision that I am staying at my Wado Ryu.

I decided this after talking to one of my dads friends who has tried loads of Martial Arts inclueding shotokan and Wado Ryu. I soon relized that I can fight aggresivly in both styles, even the defencive techniques can be fought in a aggresive manner. I like the feel of Wado Ryu as a whole martial art so I amsticking to that.

Thanks everyone for giving me advice, but when it comedown to it you just got to try it out.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know alot about shotokan. Is it Okinawan or Japanese? I much prefer Okinawan.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the first Japanese Karate style made.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAPANESE!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Gichin Funakoshi is Okinawan. But he did travel and took his brand of Karate to Japan. He demonstrated at a judo dojo, they were so impressed that he was asked to say on.

No Karate is japanese, it's ALL Okinawan.

Be Well

Master the Divine
Techniques of Aiki
and no foe
will dare
to challenge you.

[ This Message was edited by: Kensai on 2002-07-13 16:15 ]

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the hard/soft thing: everyone starts out using hard techniques. They bash the opponent with their blocks, throw their shoulders into the punches, whatever. As you get better and more comfortable with your kumite, your technique starts getting sharper. You start to block effortlessly, with small, sharp motions, and your punches are solid and powerful, with little energy exertion. In the end, Shotokan becomes a surprisingly 'soft' style, if that's the word. Still hard at its roots, but in application, it ticks like clockwork.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai! He asked if SHOTOKAN was japanese, not its roots!

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-13 17:04, Eye of the Tiger wrote:
Kensai! He asked if SHOTOKAN was japanese, not its roots!

no doubt yall
shotokan is purely japanese. The stances, the kata, the kata names, kumite, and kicks are quite different these days then they were back in the 1900s. JKA karate is alot more technical then funakoshis karate. Look at the SKA, by Modern shotokan stylist standards they are lacking in alot of areas. (not trying to be disrespectful but it is too different from all other shotokan.)if you can find the old funakoshi black and white kata movies it is so ugly its not even funny looks alot like chito ryu kata
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: