Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Stick Fighting Reply with quote

I've always loved reading and researching the Filipino Arts, and learning to use the sticks has been a desire of mine for some time. So, even though I've got no school around, I've decided that I'm just going to try to learn from a YouTube channel, and see how I can do. I've even got a training partner lined up; my youngest son! I showed him a few videos of some single stick drills, and he's into it. I had the CI order a pair of sticks, and I anticipate being able to start this week. We are going to start off with single stick drills, and maybe drill for a half hour at a time when we can during the week. We'll spend some time in the Dojang when it's free, and with the weather getting nice, we'll probably spend some time training in the driveway, too.

I'm really looking forward to this, and will keep everyone posted on how this experiment goes!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bo is my most favorite Kobudo Weapon; my 2nd most favorite Kobudo Weapon is the Short Stick, just half the size of a Jo Staff...similar to the Baston of Arnis.

The Short Stick is compacted, unforgiveable, and direct. It's a fantastic companion to our Short Range Techniques; up and close, and will get an opponents attention quick...oh yeah, acquired speed of the Short Stick can be numbing in more than on way.

I LOVE THEM!!

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
The Bo is my most favorite Kobudo Weapon; my 2nd most favorite Kobudo Weapon is the Short Stick, just half the size of a Jo Staff...similar to the Baston of Arnis.

The Short Stick is compacted, unforgiveable, and direct. It's a fantastic companion to our Short Range Techniques; up and close, and will get an opponents attention quick...oh yeah, acquired speed of the Short Stick can be numbing in more than on way.

I LOVE THEM!!

We call that weapon Tanbo, and I agree with Sensei8 that it is a great weapon with a multitude of uses (though my expertise weapon is the Manji Sai). I did some Arnis training about 11 years ago while stationed in Iraq. We were at a small FOB, and I taught Ryukyu Kempo at night to some soldiers. One of the students was a civilian contractor who lived in the Thailand (an American Expat), and had studied Arnis in the Philippines. He was very good at Modern Arnis and trained us after karate class. I think you will very much enjoy the training.

Karate no Michi! Bushido!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, both of you! I'm really looking forward to this. It'll be something new and fun, and something we can do at our own pace.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted to try it. Did a bit when younger in Sikiran ( a Filipino style) . but I have never been able to find a teacher since - I live out in the country . There was talk of a new guy turning up to train with us that does it , looking forwards to that IF ... he hasnt showed up yet .

Some stuff can be learnt from internet but

FOR GOD"S SAKE DO NOT WATCH 'Choson Ninja '

unless its for a laugh

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkalZSeh74Q

" Its a wrist exercise ! "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: