Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Self Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 1673

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Strangest self defense ever heard of. Reply with quote

What is the strangest self defense you have ever seen or heard of, excluding the use of objects or weapons?

Nose hair pull. If anybody ever tried to pluck out a nose hair, they know how it makes the eyes water and can be quite painful. Coupled with the element of surprise it can give enough time to break away and escape. I heard of someone using it to escape a two-handed grab. The defender suddenly reached up with both hands up to the attackers nostrils, pinched some hairs and viciously yanked them out.

Unusual, gross but effective. Had a good laugh about that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 891
Location: MK in the UK
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe!!

I had a chance to do some 'unarmed combat' with my father one time many moons ago.

He had served in the Army was a PT instructor as well as an unarmed combat instructor.
He decided to teach me some stuff ... to this day (effective as it was) I still cannot get the images of the first thing he (thankfully) only explained to me!
Grab a good handful of the gentleman parts then make a fist ... now do as you wish you will get no resistance at all only utter compliance!

Years later at Ju-Jitsu a mistake had my fingers end up in the other guys mouth.
We reacted as you'd expect all sorry, laughing and yuk... sensei came over and offered a defense to that attack!!

I was instructed to bite down on his fingers, hard, real hard on his fingers now lodged firmly in my mouth!
I released in seconds as he applied a technique to a pressure point in the mouth (or under the chin) depending on your pint if view!
(p.s he was a smoker, yummy!)
_________________
A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.
Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27502
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A defensive set of techniques a Kung Fu stylist once showed us was called "the crotch rip." Quite entertaining.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6086
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
A defensive set of techniques a Kung Fu stylist once showed us was called "the crotch rip." Quite entertaining.


I was just about to post this! When I was at university, the tkd instructor there suggested this as an application for moves 2-3 in Toi Gye. Would work if you were fighting Spartan style!
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27502
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
A defensive set of techniques a Kung Fu stylist once showed us was called "the crotch rip." Quite entertaining.


I was just about to post this! When I was at university, the tkd instructor there suggested this as an application for moves 2-3 in Toi Gye. Would work if you were fighting Spartan style!

_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 381
Location: United Kingdom, England, Shropshire
Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey steals the peach was a common euphemism used when I did kenpo

Must say when it comes to biting; I would never advise it. Changes how one holds the jaw, making it much easier to do something nasty too, plus of course the mandible claw and other painful nerve pinches. Same with trying eye pokes when you have already been grabbed, and lost control of the situation.

Strangest self-defence I have personally encountered; an "anti-grappling" (immediate warning sign) technique against a tackle, by grabbing the head on both sides, with both hands, and forcing one's thumbs into the eyes. Would not have been so bad if it was done with some awareness of sprawling, or an effort to turn the head over to cause a tumble; it still would have been bad either way, but in this particular case the guy just stood there in the path of the tackle and pushed the guy down with the thumbs to the eyes. The partner was of course being compliant (who wouldn't be in such a crazy drill?), and frankly the distance he was working from I thought he was trying to tackle to mat in front of the instructor, not the instructor.

He also did a eye poke like thing as a defence against a rear naked choke, with the choke on, and that is when I called it a day and left. Such nonsense would just get a person seriously injured. I suspect I missed out on some excellent nonsense. I really should try and recall the guys name because I need to direct people as far away from him as possible.
_________________
R. Keith Williams

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

JR 137
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 2205
Location: In the dojo
Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Monkey steals the peach was a common euphemism used when I did kenpo

Must say when it comes to biting; I would never advise it. Changes how one holds the jaw, making it much easier to do something nasty too, plus of course the mandible claw and other painful nerve pinches. Same with trying eye pokes when you have already been grabbed, and lost control of the situation.

Strangest self-defence I have personally encountered; an "anti-grappling" (immediate warning sign) technique against a tackle, by grabbing the head on both sides, with both hands, and forcing one's thumbs into the eyes. Would not have been so bad if it was done with some awareness of sprawling, or an effort to turn the head over to cause a tumble; it still would have been bad either way, but in this particular case the guy just stood there in the path of the tackle and pushed the guy down with the thumbs to the eyes. The partner was of course being compliant (who wouldn't be in such a crazy drill?), and frankly the distance he was working from I thought he was trying to tackle to mat in front of the instructor, not the instructor.

He also did a eye poke like thing as a defence against a rear naked choke, with the choke on, and that is when I called it a day and left. Such nonsense would just get a person seriously injured. I suspect I missed out on some excellent nonsense. I really should try and recall the guys name because I need to direct people as far away from him as possible.


I've seen some of the "Anti grappling" on YouTube and the like. I think it was Wing Chun or similar. Coming from a guy who wrestled for a good 10 years and assisted coaching the sport (me), absolute nonsense.

Avoiding a takedown is all about footwork. Angling and sprawling. What the arms are doing is important, but if you're not moving the right way, nothing else matters. I guess you could say the same thing for anything else too though, such as punching, kicking, etc.

During my time wrestling (and coaching it), very, very few people we're successful in taking me down with single and double leg takedowns. I've got pretty short legs, so that counts for some of it, but I always taught everyone willing to listen that it's all that initial reaction, pivoting (but your pivot foot isn't planted firmly), and sprawling in one fluid motion. If you can react and pivot/angle quickly and effectively, you don't even need to fully sprawl where your weight is fully on their shoulders/upper back. I got to the point where I'd move and push my opponent out of the way and get behind them before they knew what happened. I used the same basic thing in football; playing defensive line, I'd end up jumping over offensive linemen who tried to chop block me.

I know I just made myself sound like I'm some unbeatable wrestler. There's a lot more to wrestling than avoiding singles and doubles.

But what those anti grappling guys are doing is so far off it's beyond comical. They know absolutely nothing about what's really entailed. And the guys shooting the takedowns are even worse. You wouldn't be able to pull off the defenses those guys are teaching against an older elementary school wrestler who's been at it for more than a season or two, tops. Far too much momentum coming at you to be able to grab someone's head while sticking fingers in their eyes and stop them, especially without moving your feet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27502
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree with you, JR. The guys who practice doing takedowns all the time are the guys who get good at defending them.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 1935


PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned this from my father. He would joke with my friends that he could kill them with one finger. Those that didn't believe him... he would do this.

I have used the "index finger up the nostril technique". Pinning one of them to the the wall while he was seated then he ended up on his tip toes. It worked very well while his buddy looked on with disbelief. I asked him "the buddy" if he would like some of this too, he just looked away.

They were both tripping girls up on there way to the ladies toilets, in a bar. I wasn't working in the bar. I was just dating one of the girls they tripped up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 223
Location: Connecticut
Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense techniques in Sho Bin Ju are built off American Kenpo, with some modifications and some of the more useless defenses removed. That said there's an American Kenpo technique out of Ed Parker's system which was removed from the Sho Bin Ju system called Striking Whip. For those who don't know Kenpo defenses are done like One Step Sparring techniques in TKD and Karate.

This defense involved an attacker who was charging at you as if to tackle you at the waist. You were to receive them with your front palm and back-fist around to the back of the head. You then bring that hand back around front, and lift the attacker by the nose, exposing the throat, pulling the first hand back and panther striking the throat.

We learned the removed techniques more as a joke than anything, but this one was so directly ineffective that it always stuck with me.
_________________
"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Self Defense All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >