Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bobfromtekken
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Striking target for strengthening Reply with quote

Hey all, I was looking for some input/advice about a striking target I'd like to put together in a limited space.

I've recently moved into a new place and am setting up a training area for myself in the basement. My space is pretty limited, and I've set aside enough room for essentials. But in the middle of it all is a foundation pole, and I'm trying to come up with the best way to utilize it. I have my mind set on a makiwara-esque striking target.

The pole is floor to ceiling and made of steel. My current thought is to put padding on it and wrap it with hemp rope, but I've never set up a target like this before. I've done strengthening before with mung bean bags, rice bags, and rice digging, but nothing quite like this.

I was hoping you guys with more experience with these sorts of things would have some advice as to what padding/surface I should use for my mini project

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Bob. Sounds like you got yourself a makiwara. That's good!

The only thing I can think of is the Shaolin newspaper on the wall. A thick layer of paper on the wall for you to hit. Of should not take room since it's on the wall

I will check it out to see if I can come up with other ideas.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're describing would be akin to an ude-makiwara, but without any spring action. You can use it for conditioning, if you're careful, but it's not really a makiwara. A better bet would be to build a proper makiwara on a platform, that way it's moveable and not permanently bolted to the floor or anything.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
What you're describing would be akin to an ude-makiwara, but without any spring action. You can use it for conditioning, if you're careful, but it's not really a makiwara. A better bet would be to build a proper makiwara on a platform, that way it's moveable and not permanently bolted to the floor or anything.

I second Wastelander's recommendation!!!

Karate no Michi!

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been a slow process (almost a year) but our new addition of a home dojo (hojo) is coming along.

I was also looking into a Makawara. I saw the wall mounted ones and wondered about them but I have the floor space. I can mount it in the corner of the dojo. My concern more was height. I am 5'2" and my husband is 5'10".

I more want it for feedback on proper technique. Any suggestions? I rather buy it if possible only bc my husband's time is taxed with building this new space among other things and if I ask him to build one more thing he may want a divorce lol

I also considered removing the pad to an old standing bag and just wrapping the rope around it?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to build it into the wall, or will it stand out from the wall so it has some give when you strike it?

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be mounted to support post or installed right on my floor. I want it to have give. The wall mount ones I saw have a spring in them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was wondering. Without the give, I would think they lose their effectiveness as a training tool.

opr1945
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a makiwara using 2 pieces of 2'x4' 3/4" plywood, need 2 pieces because 1 piece of plywood will bend when the makiwara is hit while you are standing on plywood.
Upright post is a 4x4 fence post from big box home building supply store cut on an angle lenthwise to give tapered shape. Attach pole to plywood with a fastener for attaching fence post to cement slab at home supply store. Uses 4 small bolts. You stand on the plywood and punch the pad. It is not permantely attached to anything and is easily movable. Look on Utube for videos on making the pad.

This is similar except I atted it to the plywood pieces not floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT4rR46norY

I like this way of attaching the pad as it has more spring/give to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8haaRozuwQ&t=108s

Here is another idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB4-Gy95YIw

opr1945
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can't figure how to post pictures? maybe I don't have enought posts to be able to post pictures? Anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: