Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

crash76
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Student Database Reply with quote

Hi, I am running a small school, and looking for a way to track attendance and membership details. I don't particularly want to spend money on a product, unless its only a small amount (as in $10 a month!) or a one off fee. I currently just use excel with the names down one side, and the Mon and Fri classes across the top and print this out each month.
I'm hoping for more of a access database or similar that i can just go to the class date (easily) and then select each member that was in that class.

Googling karate databases turns up waaaay to many to go through, and most are out of my price range. I currently only have 18 students, and will most likely only ever get to about 50 (if ever). Not after student check in via an app, or anything like that.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you're going to find what you're looking for without having to pay for the setup of equipment and then a monthly service fee. It sounds to me like your best bet is the use of Excel that you are already doing. Our instructor just prints off a sheet for the month, and students check their name off on the dates they attend. Students are reminded to check in during class, and if they don't have the required number of classes per month, then they don't get to test.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign students in the old fashion way...sign in sheets, then transfer the necessary data into a Master File Book, akin to a Ledger Sheet; that's the tried-and-true method without having to depend on a computer.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dojo is pretty high tech

My teacher has a smaller wire bound notebook that we sign in on. A new sheet for each day. We also write in the number of classes since our last promotion after our name. So a student would write “David Smith 24.” The next class he’d write “David Smith 25.”

We’re a small dojo; about 50 students total, 2 classes per night (one kids and one adults), 5 nights a week. He can track trends if he needs to by simply opening up the notebook.

I’d imagine there’s ways Excel found do sorting stuff, but I don’t use it much beyond the very basic functions.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all, computes do break down, whereas the pen/pencil is mightier than the computer. I'm not dead set against having a computer, I mean, I'm using one right now.

I suppose that I really never found a database/program that would fit in with my needs. So, being way old school in this regards, if it's not broken, then why try to fix it, I'll just have students sign-in daily, and then just go from there.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into this at the moment but because I want a system that tracks more than just attendance... payment via Direct Debit, gradings, etc. But generally you will have to pay a subscription for such software.

What I currently do is have a Google Sheets file which I access via tablet or phone in class and I can update on the go.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Google sheets, (Free) you can add access for all your students, there are templates that you can use and tweak to your requirements. I use it for my own training log, it's cloud based which means you can access it anywhere, from your smart phone for example.

crash76
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i will stick with the excel spreadsheet then!
I have it set up that I print out the monthly sheet of students, and enter their attendance at the end of each month. Just needs some more work to get the total attendance each month, but its free i guess!
Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: