Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
As a kid in the 70's a rabbit foot key chain was the in thing to have (not so lucky for the rabbit) and for the girls, a lucky charm bracelet, with as many different kinds of stuff considered to be lucky attached.

Who doesn't know their astrological sign, besides very young children?

What do you do if you spill salt, do you throw some over your shoulder?

As for those that belive that breaking a mirror causes seven years bad luck, then how about Bruce Lee, breaking all those mirrors in the movie "Enter the dragon" as he never lived long enough to see the premier.
Coincidence. You also have to consider culture. What some cultures consider to be taboo or bad luck, others don't. It could be that Lee didn't grow up believing breaking mirrors was bad luck.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not superstitious. I also do not believe in luck in the sense that it is something that just happens.

What I do believe in, is a sense of order that calms the mind and allows it to focus without distractions. This manifests itself as rituals before athletic events, or carrying certain objects on a regular basis.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
As a kid in the 70's a rabbit foot key chain was the in thing to have (not so lucky for the rabbit) and for the girls, a lucky charm bracelet, with as many different kinds of stuff considered to be lucky attached.

Who doesn't know their astrological sign, besides very young children?

What do you do if you spill salt, do you throw some over your shoulder?

As for those that belive that breaking a mirror causes seven years bad luck, then how about Bruce Lee, breaking all those mirrors in the movie "Enter the dragon" as he never lived long enough to see the premier.
Coincidence. You also have to consider culture. What some cultures consider to be taboo or bad luck, others don't. It could be that Lee didn't grow up believing breaking mirrors was bad luck.
Could be coincidence for Bruce Lee, as every moment is also.

Could also be coincidence that far too many famous people die due to drug related activities, as Bruce Lee died to a reaction to drugs, as it is the same thing for many others, but for them with less dignity it is called an overdose.

It is also ironic that a man considered to be the strongest and fitist martial artist for his time, died so easily, followed by his son, another coincidence following in his father's footsteps too closely.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother and grandmother are/were highly superstitious. I on the other hand have never been and in fact would push the boundaries of their superstitions to prove they had no basis in reality. Yes I was a rotten kid, but it taught me to not fear the things that made no sense to fear. Oh, and nothing adverse ever happened to me.

Actually now that I am much older it kinda gives me a chuckle thinking about all those superstitions.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be inconceivable, not so long ago, in my lifetime, that exchanging viewpoints around the world, such as this forum; would be considered witchcraft.

Hallucinogenic drugs such as mushrooms and LSD fungus growing of food, have helped to perpetuate superstitious attitudes.

As Bruce Lee's father smoked a heroine pipe that was a part of the Chinese theatre culture at the time, was used for purposes to enhance the voice for singing.

For beginners luck and the other side of counting their chickens before they hatch, with everything in between.

All cultures around the world practice luck management systems, like it or belive in it or not, it is there.

Ancestor worship, to help us down here from those that have passed on up there, its remnants are in many peoples homes, as with photos next to the fireplace, whitch was once upon a time an alter.

Of courses they didn't have photos but effigies and carvings worked just as well.

In the now, we can watch reruns on TV of dead people (classic Hollywood) just as if they are in the same room.

Those that don't feel as if they have much going for them, seem to turn to mysticism for better luck.

As those that think that they are getting less than their fair share, hedge their bets, and prefer communism.

While those that think they can win, much more often than not, put their faith alot higher and go for capitalism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: