Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you take supplements along with working out and weight training? Do you have a special regimen, for example:
Do you take vitamins? Protein Powders? Energy Boosters or Fat Burners? What works for you and why? Any secrets?

also can anyone tell me anything about Zymax? (dietary energy supplement you can only get from Canada)

Thanks! (my first thread here as "moderator"!!)
Deby

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 15, 2001 3:55pm

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congradulations on your moderator status SENSEI KICKCHICK......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!!! Don't take the fat burner. If it really works every body in us would be skinny (almost impossible). The vitamins are good for you but stay off the " fat burner" and stick to the protien bars and drinks.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

protein bars and drinks are a load of ****.If you keep a healthy diet of fresh fish,fruit and vegetables,milk,plenty of water.You should be OK

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take supplements all the time, spent lots of money on them. Then I got a bodybuilding coach and he got me off of them. The only "supplement" i used was protein powder for the times that I couldn't cook. I'd eat 6 times a day and I would eat real food as much as possible. I'd average about 8 oz of protein in each meal, pretty decent amount of carbs early in the day and none towards the end. It really worked. I don't recommend any supplement except maybe a protien powder and creatine if you are vegitarian.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Ken - avoid supplements and eat real food - your body will benefit more from it. Unless your body is deficient in something, there's no good reason for it - it's called marketing peoples....and is a very lucrative industry. Also - drinks such as SOBE contain ginseng and other types of supplements, which can be potentially harmful to children. One more thing - a recent study suggests that too much intake of Vitamin C can lead to certain cancers (can't remember which). OK, enough ranting...

Lori

-Unknown-

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so much contradictory advice regarding diets etc...some say stick to protein through the day and carbs on a night for repair..other say avoid carbs on a night. (Night being after 4pm)

One thing I do is drink a lot of coffee...I know there's a lot of contradictory advice on that too but it makes my muscles work. After about 8pm I stick to water so as not to interfere with sleep.

I'm also taking iron supplements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice for proper nutrition is simple. First... never DIET.
The nature of the word DIET refers to a temporary fix to short term results. That’s a silly idea. Proper nutrition is a way of life. Period. You should form good habits. Removing most oil, butter, and creamy sauces from your personal menu choices will go along way, considering the only thing they really contribute is fat. As far as treats go, I do not believe that any food is ‘bad’. Hopefully, once you’ve filled up on the healthy foods ... you’ll be too full to devour an entire cheesecake. Everything in moderation. A small desert is fine. You’ll know when you’ve had too much.
I too cannot live day to day without coffee! Just remember to drinks lots of water to combat the dehydrating effects of coffee. It does speed up your metabolism too ! (caffeine)
I take a vitamin supplement basically because I really don't eat a ton of fruits and vegetables and enough calcium to keep my bones nice and strong.

Deby

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-08-23 04:58 ]

defenestration_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it sounds like you guys know your suplements, creatine is a good one but only if you train a lot, and i mean everyday for about 3 hours at least. creatine is found naturally in the body and is involed in the creation of energy within the muscles. Taking a supplement simply means that hard training people can push themselves. avoid weight gain/weight loss products, they are all hype and are often simply a placebo.
we got this one weight loss tablet called "zotrium"
the ingredients are gurana (natural form of caffiene, damiana, and another one i forget the name of (which is a natural laxative).
it also tells you on the packet to drink a whole glass of water with the tablet.
basically the caffiene makes you feel good, the laxative is an extreme weight loss solution which is v. dangerous, and the glass of water makes you feel full-up.
all this costs about £25 for 60 tablets.
i'd say stick to a healthy diet and either simple or no supplements....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
me x

superkicker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take creatine monohydrate and find it works very well. It gives you a lot more energy so you can work out longer and it helps in the recovery and growth of muscle tissue. Some people are wary of creatine because of the unkown lonterm effects but it's working great for me and most proffessional athletes use it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: